Stripping automotive film on dual pane

Guest Litespeeds

If it is automotive film that is pressure sensitive adhesive, just peel it off and spray soap water on the adhesive and use a scraper to remove the glue. If the film does not peel off in one full piece, then you might need to sweat it off.

Guest metint
I have a church to strip old automotive tint off of dual pane glass.  I was thinking of using simple green with the bag overnight .  Do you think this will work ok.  Is there something that will do better.  The film has some adhesive failure.

Yes it'll work, but I'd use Windex w/ammonia-D if I were doing it and you risk only one layer coming up in the event it is a two-ply film.

Pull the film and cut the adhesive with a solution and blades. Make sure you keep the adhesive soaked for easier scraping of the glue. :beer

If you can sweat it go for it, what is there to lose? The idea of 6 inches of surface area pushing through the film is tough. Can I suggest an angled 4 inch stock removal tool? The blade is thicker and wont break, smaller and angled to slice through with less pressure. Then come with the 6 inch as the 4 inch won't clean but 90% or so and the 6 inch picks up the rest easy at that point. Then, if it is still cloudy, rub it with fine steel wool 000 or 0000, to get the remaining glue out of the pores of the glass. But definitely I think anything that softens the film is to the good, like sweating, but PS hold the film differently than detackified adhesives so maintainance removal is a pain in the rear.

you gotta just try it....I've taken it off with just soap watter and a new razor blade...that is my prefference...just keep blades handy cause that type of glass can scratch easily and if your moving fasr you won't see all the damage till your f'ed....I don't like using things that can mess up the paint on the sills of the stained finish...keep a rolled up towel at the bottom of the window to keep the moisture from soaking the frame especially if it is wood.....good luck

Guest nautiboi73
The member number thing is strange, when it got above 1000 it went straight to 10,001, I have no idea why. :lol

just wondering who are members 1, and 2?

Archived