Tinting over Rear Privacy Glass

Revisiting this. Thinking of changing just the back window only. 20% over the privacy glass gets it super dark. What if I peeled the 35% and went with 30%? How much darker do you think it would net? The rear sides at 35% are fine. They darkened up from 35% but yet the rear window seems like it barely did. Without tint and factory glass, the rear window seemed lighter than the rear privacy tint side windows.

Mainly trying to cut down on glare coming into the cab from behind being a flat window. But I dont want to black it out like 20% did. 

A lot of vehicles vary on the sides from the back with I believe the back typically being lighter. My most popular is 20% over top the factory privacy. Honestly 35 to 30 isn't going to be a considerable difference. The only option would possibly doing another layer of 35 on top of what you have now. :twocents

I had on 20% before. It brought it down to like 4%. The whole rear in 20% just didint bring in enough light into the vehicle for my taste. Dont want to blacken it out but just want to darken it/tame the light coming in at night?  What do you think another layer of 35% would do to it?

I guess maybe the rear window at 20% and leaving the 2 sides at 35% could be a possibility.

Thanks-

Edited by asdaven

Also, Keep in mind when your looking from the side it will always appear darker because your looking through 2 pieces of tinted glass. Looking from behind the truck, the other side is a giant clear windshield, letting light in behind the back glass. Hopefully, I explained that so it makes sense. Doesn’t have anything to do with the actual vlt measurements, just the appearance.

44 minutes ago, asdaven said:

I had on 20% before. It brought it down to like 4%. The whole rear in 20% just didint bring in enough light into the vehicle for my taste. Dont want to blacken it out but just want to darken it/tame the light coming in at night?  What do you think another layer of 35% would do to it?

I guess maybe the rear window at 20% and leaving the 2 sides at 35% could be a possibility.

Thanks-

I would suspect another layer would being it to about what 20 would do but that's just a guess. Like Dave said since the doors are now lighter which is where we do most of our looking out at changing lanes and such the 20 on the back should be find. After all the main goal is to reduce the glare from headlights at night correct? 

30 minutes ago, jh812 said:

I would suspect another layer would being it to about what 20 would do but that's just a guess. Like Dave said since the doors are now lighter which is where we do most of our looking out at changing lanes and such the 20 on the back should be find. After all the main goal is to reduce the glare from headlights at night correct? 

Very true. But it was also hard seeing to back up at night....however I have since added a backup camera which works well. All three blacked out made the backseat noticeably darker than the rest of the truck....maybe just blacking out the rear window will be okay.

I have 50% on the windshield but it is pretty clear and lets in a lot of light.

Thanks-

Update: The 35% my tinter used which is on the back window currently is more like a 40% (38-39%) I think the idea to net a legal 35% when applied to the front windows. His 30% on the other hand is actually a 30%. So going to 30% would be 10% darker over the rear. 

And I suspect once you start approaching those low VLT numbers....5 and 10% start to make a MUCH bigger difference.

15 hours ago, asdaven said:

Update: The 35% my tinter used which is on the back window currently is more like a 40% (38-39%) I think the idea to net a legal 35% when applied to the front windows. His 30% on the other hand is actually a 30%. So going to 30% would be 10% darker over the rear. 

And I suspect once you start approaching those low VLT numbers....5 and 10% start to make a MUCH bigger difference.

40 over 40 will yours the same as 20 fyi

IMG_20180821_095913-756x1008.jpg

IMG_20180821_095938-756x1008.jpg

9 hours ago, jh812 said:

40 over 40 will yours the same as 20 fyi

IMG_20180821_095913-756x1008.jpg

IMG_20180821_095938-756x1008.jpg

So 40 over 40 over the 20 factory comes out the same as 20% over factory tint? 5%?

Then what does 30% over factory tint come out to?....my tinter says doing his lightest film 45% over the 35-40% on there already will net the same as a single piece of 30% film over the back or at least somewhere in the 25-30% range over the factory tint.

Dont know if 30% from 35-40% over factory 20% will make at least a 5% difference? If its gonna make a 1% difference or something like that, then it's not even worth it.

Thanks-

Edited by asdaven