Hand cutting tips!

On 3/30/2018 at 12:03 AM, Justint81 said:

Just starting out Tinting... well, just getting back into it actually. I tinted 15 years ago for a year, but that shop had a plotter so I never learned the old fashion way. Have a full time job and am working at a shop on my days off, along with practicing in my garage every night. I can not get hand cutting down to save my life! I am constantly catching the rubber along the bottom cut, and struggle to stay straight on the side cuts. I am putting just 1 click of blade out on my red dot... but just can’t get it. The only cut I’m not struggling with is the top cut.  New to the forum, and looked for this topic, and couldn’t find any. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! 

It's all in the angle of the dangle.

Always position the knife/blade with the cutting edge slightly angled off or away from any rubber (or molding), not towards. Rely more on the body of the knife to stabilize when cutting however, the key to keeping the blade's cutting edge from digging in is to pitch (or lean) it away while resting against rubber.

See the pics below:

Pitch toward will cut rubber.

20180331_134518sm.jpg

Pitch slightly away does not.

20180331_134527sm.jpg

Edited by smartie2shoes

Thanks jh812 I didn't think you were doing that many in a day out of your garage but that's great 15 to 20 was what I was thinking on time plus the headache u said on trucks especially lifted have the cash still just gun shy I guess I will be switching to n.c this summer thank you for the tips 

I’ve handout many vehicles, I only did a few vehicles in the past then I started to do this evenings/weekends for a few months. I hate hand cutting because I consider myself slow at it but my vinyl express Q42 and Tint Tek showed up the other day and I put it to use today on two trucks. I must say, I’m very pleased and happy with the time and fuss it saves me! I don’t currently have the volume that some shops do since I’m kinds part time at it but I plan to go full time sooner than later and this plotter will definitely make my life a little easier!