Small lint on the hood.

Hi there I had xpel installed and noticed there is a small lint under it, it’s been about 5 weeks after install. The rest of the hood is flawless, this was a Full hood clear bra. Only problem is there is a small lint, very tiny and it’s white so it sticks out a bit on a darker car.

My installer told me at this point if he tries to poke any holes it would compromise the clear bra. Is that correct? My main concern is, will overtime this piece of lint cause any damage to the paint under?

the hood has been redone before because there was a bigger hair, so I don’t want to cause any hassle to have it redone. 

https://imgur.com/a/BSvRC

Film to paint, that is the motto. If there is a lint issue under the film, it is possible to pull and spray (diluted alcohol solution) underneath and fix the problem. Only other issue would be wrong cloth for wiping or unconscious installation 

Cheers

4 hours ago, IcEWoLF said:

I see, it’s been 5 weeks, so wouldn’t it be a bad idea to pull it apart on the side to clean it up?

the clear bra has been edge wrapped and sealed under the hood.

I would say so. Just taking a guess at the size of that piece of lint judging it against the metallic in the paint, if that's the only issue in a complete hood you're doing pretty good. If you were to have them lift the film to try and remove it you're going to be left with a lift line in the film and there's no guarantee that it wouldn't pick up some other defect or contamination in the process. Unfortunately we don't get to apply these films in 100% sterile environments to 100% sterile surfaces and they're applied by hand by a human so there's always a chance of there being at least a small defect. The larger the piece of film being applied and the more complex the shape of the surface it's being applied to, the higher the odds of an issue arising either from contamination or other defect(silvering, application mark, lift line, etc.). Going back to your original question as to whether it's going to damage the paint if left, I don't think you have anything to worry about there. Hope that helps you.

7 minutes ago, highplains said:

I would say so. Just taking a guess at the size of that piece of lint judging it against the metallic in the paint, if that's the only issue in a complete hood you're doing pretty good. If you were to have them lift the film to try and remove it you're going to be left with a lift line in the film and there's no guarantee that it wouldn't pick up some other defect or contamination in the process. Unfortunately we don't get to apply these films in 100% sterile environments to 100% sterile surfaces and they're applied by hand by a human so there's always a chance of there being at least a small defect. The larger the piece of film being applied and the more complex the shape of the surface it's being applied to, the higher the odds of an issue arising either from contamination or other defect(silvering, application mark, lift line, etc.). Going back to your original question as to whether it's going to damage the paint if left, I don't think you have anything to worry about there. Hope that helps you.

Thanks for the detailed reply, the installer told me he could try to use steam to bring up the edge since its not too far from the edge of the car. But doing so it may damage the film and he may have to redo the whole thing. Other than the very small lint, the rest of the car surface is flawless, and I totally understand lint can get in there unless you are working in one of those car paint rooms where everything is white and there is 0 dust.

Also thank you for telling me that if he were to lift it that it would leave a lift line. I just wish I would have caught it the same day it was done, but the last 3-4 weeks I didn't see it until today. we had had some bad weather and not much sun, over the last week now the sun shines I can see it.

But yeah, I've inspected the rest of the film and everything seems to be fine.

I was going to ask him if I could just poke it with a needle and get it out, he said do not do that because it would compromise the film and it would make things worse since its on the hood.

He did tell me he will look into it next week and see what can be done, but I would hate to have him redo the hood a 3rd time for something minuscule. 

I have OCD, so it kinda drives me nuts when the car is clean and that little white particle shows up...

8 hours ago, IcEWoLF said:

Thanks for the detailed reply, the installer told me he could try to use steam to bring up the edge since its not too far from the edge of the car. But doing so it may damage the film and he may have to redo the whole thing. Other than the very small lint, the rest of the car surface is flawless, and I totally understand lint can get in there unless you are working in one of those car paint rooms where everything is white and there is 0 dust.

Also thank you for telling me that if he were to lift it that it would leave a lift line. I just wish I would have caught it the same day it was done, but the last 3-4 weeks I didn't see it until today. we had had some bad weather and not much sun, over the last week now the sun shines I can see it.

But yeah, I've inspected the rest of the film and everything seems to be fine.

I was going to ask him if I could just poke it with a needle and get it out, he said do not do that because it would compromise the film and it would make things worse since its on the hood.

He did tell me he will look into it next week and see what can be done, but I would hate to have him redo the hood a 3rd time for something minuscule. 

I have OCD, so it kinda drives me nuts when the car is clean and that little white particle shows up...

How much would it drive you nuts if it was a stone chip though?

Believe me when I say any piece if dust, lint trapped under the film is like a cocktail stick to our eyes and with the best will in the world nothing ever goes on totally clean. Bear in mind we are working with a sticky back plastic with a static charge. Your pic is an extreme close up, how does it look from three or four feet away after sitting outside for 5 minutes? Or from the drivers seat where, lets face it, that's where you really want to be, and most probably why you bought the car in the first place.

If that is the only complaint you have on the install give your man a break and just let it go and enjoy your car.:drive

Steve

For how much clear bra cost to install might need to install it at nasa in a dust free chamber, I’m kidding. 

I’ll leave it be, can’t really see it when the car it Unless the car is clean and you are up close. Once you see something your eyes always turn towards it, my best bet is to forget about it lol. But yeah, the install came out pretty good, all edges wrapped including the back edge, the film cured well.

When the customer understands we are looking for 95% flawless, because we are dealing with the elements. The work you put into it is Awsome with only having one spot. The material will do it’s job. We can go to any car dealer, look at a brand new car and find something on everyone of those cars. If someone is picking that kind of work apart, imagine them not sleeping at night (if the PPF) wasn’t there and it was windy and raining or worse.

Well said guys!

This all comes down to the education of the customer before the install. These sorts of potential issues need to be made clear before the job is started and let the customer make their mind up then rather then send yourself broke looking for a 'flawless' finish. 

The technology and products are awesome but there are limits. Unless you don't drive your car then as soon as you drive down the road you get spots that will look exactly the same from bugs, dirt, tar etc. A car looks great freshly washed but stays that way for a minute.