Cuts on glass

I'm looking for some professional opinions on the tint install that was done on my car.

When I took my car in to get tinted, I had around 6,000 miles on it.  The installer who tinted my car places the tint on the outside of the window and cuts it on the glass to fit.  

It was overcast for the few days following the tint installation.  When the sun came out, I noticed quite a few cuts and markings on every window that he tinted.  I took my car back to him and he said they were all imperfections in the glass and they were made more obvious by the darkness of the tint (35%).  The thing is, most of the cuts are about 2 inches in from the edges and line up perfectly with the shapes of the windows.  The back window has cuts all the way around the black edge where the window attaches to the car but no cuts in the main part of the window.  Some of the cuts are deep enough that you can catch your fingernail on them and a few of them even intersect.  

Does it appear that the tint installer damaged my windows during the installation or are these actually blemishes from the factory?  

I apologize for the quality of the pics but the front windows don't show up too well in photographs.  Each window has at least 2 lines on them, these are just some of what I can get to show up in pics.

This line runs from slightly left of center of this pic all the way to the right of the image.

CC0C7D13-A244-471B-9F15-E71676ED5C2F.jpeg.dc10f8a71f93e80bedf13acaaf1011eb.jpeg

About 2 inches in there is a vertical cut running parallel to the front of the window.

9DE8010E-9858-4B9D-ABEA-B7BF0C5F0431.jpeg.7e7df0de8d60c3cb9dd17844fe495f60.jpeg

Back window where multiple lines are in the black portion of the window only.

BEA3DC5B-38A8-4D1F-AC5F-E89370002679.png.37e0c0a6ee72351ec29830d55f19bc14.png

Close up of the lines in the back window.

*edit fixed broken image *94D5D847-7196-444C-9C57-78AFDDAF7F8F.png.18929e2f4acd11a31002d68693a5a74d.png

Link to short video.  

Edited by OctiveFunction
Fixed broken image

The back window was without a doubt done by whomever tinted it. The side now that is skeptical, I know it's deep but I have seen stuff like that on newer vehicles that doesn't show up prior to. Without better pics I'd have to give them the benefit of the doubt on that one but the back is definitely from them.

not what you want to hear ...but id learn to live with it, rather than having someone pay for the glass to be replaced..

the predicament.

scratches, which you have to look for vs.. having yet someone else work on your car, remove factory installed windows and replace with aftermarket and then you still have to get your windows tinted again.

as the car ages, you will have more glass  scratches etc..

you can try to polish them out with a DA polisher, glass polish … if you can catch your nail in the scratch...it will be too deep to polish out.

heres what ive learned:  9 out of 10 times when you have someone work on your car..there will be some sort of damage

I disagree with tools. That is definitely the shops issue. New car, 6,000 miles and an installer not paying attention to a dull ss blade or used a carbon blade. There are a number of vehicles out there now that are not to be cut on. I would go to shop, speak with owner and have home file an insurance claim and rectify the problem. If they say they didn’t do it, have someone else remove the film, lay it on the back glass (document e erything) and line it up and take it to court, he may change his tune at that time. Take the car to your insurance company and let their adjuster look at it and let him know what you had done. Any veteran on this forum knows exactly what happened and it needs to be resolved. Just plain negligence on the installers part

This type of damage is the reason I NEVER cut on the car.  Everything gets traced with a pencil, then cut on the peel board.  No blades on the car :nono   

Honda, BMW, Lexus are some of the main ones to have what I call "soft glass" :gasp   They seem to scar easier than any others.  

4 hours ago, drtint said:

I disagree with tools. That is definitely the shops issue. New car, 6,000 miles and an installer not paying attention to a dull ss blade or used a carbon blade. There are a number of vehicles out there now that are not to be cut on. I would go to shop, speak with owner and have home file an insurance claim and rectify the problem. If they say they didn’t do it, have someone else remove the film, lay it on the back glass (document e erything) and line it up and take it to court, he may change his tune at that time. Take the car to your insurance company and let their adjuster look at it and let him know what you had done. Any veteran on this forum knows exactly what happened and it needs to be resolved. Just plain negligence on the installers part

agree with dr tint about your recourse option if you choose to...

my comment was about what to do about the scratches....

good luck with whatever decision you make and i understand the frustration.

Edited by tools

9 hours ago, Bham said:

This type of damage is the reason I NEVER cut on the car.  Everything gets traced with a pencil, then cut on the peel board.  No blades on the car :nono   

Honda, BMW, Lexus are some of the main ones to have what I call "soft glass" :gasp   They seem to scar easier than any others.  

What kind of pencils do you use where do buy them are they better than sharpies???

9 hours ago, tools said:

agree with dr tint about your recourse option if you choose to...

my comment was about what to do about the scratches....

good luck with whatever decision you make and i understand the frustration.

I read your comment. I was only commenting on the living with it and minimizing the issue. Nothing personal brother.

the whole response put me (and I am sure) a few life long trade individuals with the wrong perception of an installation business. No one needs to have that done to their property. If I go and get an oil change and my car falls off the rack and has damage and you tell me it happens some time and to look beyond that, is that what I should do? You provide a service, I expect that service to be done with your provisional expertise and not to worry about damages incurred for that particular project. 

If I bring my property to you and you damage it, I expect to receive it with my wants that I paid for minus the damage. That is my point.