Peelboard Size

I want to get a piece of double strength glass for a new peelboard and I'm a little cramped for space. I want something big enough I can do strips/ backglass on. I was thinking 3 feet tall by 4.5 ft long. You guys think that would be big enough in most situations? That double strength glass is expensive :eye

I had a 4ft by 7ft single strength and it broke on me. I've seen several door glass and what not for sale on Facebook but i don't think they'd work out to well for me.

Been a while since I've been on here hope everyone is doing well.

I built a 2x4 frame and routed a channel in it to hold a piece of 4x8 tempered in 1/4" thickness. Its got four swivel wheels on it for added mobility.

It makes it nice because I can move it to my plotter, slap windows on it, then from side to side on a car.

I am not sure how much double strength is but the tempered I bought wasn't horrible if you have a glass guy. I have a friend who got it for me at near cost with the gentleman's agreement to pass work to one another if asked by our customers.

Good luck finding something that works size and price wise for your shop!

Double strength glass really isn't going to be that strong either.  Get with a glass shop and I would bet you can get a piece of 1/4" or laminated, or even tempered.  My glass board is big laminated that I was given.  

I would want a 4' x 4' for the smallest I would use.   4 x 6 would be great.  I'm thinking cutting a full windshield strip. 

Went to glass shop today. 

$125 for 3/16” glass which was plenty thick enough. 

Not much more for 1/4”. Either one would work and that was for a 3ft X 5ft piece. Should be plenty big enough for most BG and strips. I might revisit the idea of getting door glasses but I think I’m gonna go 3/16” from the shop.  

28 minutes ago, TQtinting said:

Went to glass shop today. 

$125 for 3/16” glass which was plenty thick enough. 

Not much more for 1/4”. Either one would work and that was for a 3ft X 5ft piece. Should be plenty big enough for most BG and strips. I might revisit the idea of getting door glasses but I think I’m gonna go 3/16” from the shop.  

I would recommend going just a little larger, if you can afford it.  I have a 46"x80" piece and it is perfect for any size window.  

The reason I say this, most full size truck rear glass is 62" (just over 5' ) across the bottom, same with some front strips being about 62"-64", so if you can get a 6' piece, I would recommend it.  That extra foot will come in handy.  Also, you want to be able to roll out a 40" roll of film for splitting or backglasses and whatnot, a 3" piece won't allow this.   4foot by 6foot is the smallest I look for in a peel board size. :twocents 

Edited by Bham

3 hours ago, Bham said:

I would recommend going just a little larger, if you can afford it.  I have a 46"x80" piece and it is perfect for any size window.  

The reason I say this, most full size truck rear glass is 62" (just over 5' ) across the bottom, same with some front strips being about 62"-64", so if you can get a 6' piece, I would recommend it.  That extra foot will come in handy.  Also, you want to be able to roll out a 40" roll of film for splitting or backglasses and whatnot, a 3" piece won't allow this.   4foot by 6foot is the smallest I look for in a peel board size. :twocents 

Agreed, if you can fit it get this size. That's what we use and it fits everything you mentioned plus 2 side windows side by side for faster trimming and peeling.

I can fit that size, I was just trying to re-arrange house a little bit more to my liking but I’ll just have to deal. Thanks for the input. 

Having a peelboard big enough to hold 4 roll ups plus more was very nice. I’ll prob just have to fork over the cash. 

I was going to sell all my tint stuff, tried removing my old glass from wall and broke it.  :eyetwitch

Have had a lot change in the last 6 months and have decided to keep at it with tinting. Enjoyed it a lot and am way more confident in myself than I ever was. So I’m ready for a new glass and to get back to learning! 

8 hours ago, TQtinting said:

I was going to sell all my tint stuff, tried removing my old glass from wall and broke it.  :eyetwitch

Have had a lot change in the last 6 months and have decided to keep at it with tinting. Enjoyed it a lot and am way more confident in myself than I ever was. So I’m ready for a new glass and to get back to learning! 

Been down that road many times when I was doing this part time.