tint windshield before installation?

hi everyone,

My current windshield on my 2004 lexus ls430 cracked and I am getting it replace soon.  But would like to install clear tint on it for heat and uv rejection.  I was wonder wouldn't it be easier for the tint installer to put tint film on it before I have the glass installer?  My concern is that I want the best tint job possible and make it easier for the tint installer.  

thanks,

Sean

14 minutes ago, seantsean said:

hi everyone,

My current windshield on my 2004 lexus ls430 cracked and I am getting it replace soon.  But would like to install clear tint on it for heat and uv rejection.  I was wonder wouldn't it be easier for the tint installer to put tint film on it before I have the glass installer?  My concern is that I want the best tint job possible and make it easier for the tint installer.  

thanks,

Sean

Quite the opposite, it is harder to tint the glass outside of the vehicle.  You have to figure out how to hold the glass in place and be sturdy enough for you to apply pressure.  Then you run a risk of the film being damaged during the installation or them getting adhesive on the film.  Most shops (including us) won't tint glass outside of the vehicle due to these reasons.  Just get the windshield replaced then wait about a week before getting the film applied.

It is definitely easier to tint that way, BUT you have to have someone hold it up when you tint it otherwise it will be full of contaminates if it lays on it's face. We do them either way both inside and out of the vehicle, but usually there ends up being a piece of fuzz or something almost every time. 

Edited by Sunbreakers

On 12/8/2018 at 3:28 PM, no ma'am said:

I'd be concerned about a glass guy sealing my films edge under the urethane, making replacement of film a nightmare in a warranty situation :twocents

If you plotter cut or stay reasonably where you normally would when cutting out on the car that would hardly be an issue or never has been for us.