Sealant/Edge Removal

Hey fellow tinters, I've got 5 years auto tint under my belt and have starter taking on flat glass jobs as well.  I'm wondering what your thoughts are on sealant removal? The windows are all new but the edges are all finished with calking/sealant. So there isn't really a fine finish I  can cut my edges with.  Would you cut out the seals, install the tint and then come back and redo the calking to cover any light gaps? 

Depending on the situation, I would just trim back a small amount to get a nice 90 degree edge and bump the edge strait on with a scraper to remove the fine residue left behind from the caulking to have a decent edge to trim the film against. Some times when trying to remove a small amount of caulking it will pull away from the frame, then you would either have to remove it all and redo the caulking again or make the customer aware of this before hand and let them decide if they would want to pay you to reinstall caulking or just leave it all removed. or just do it for free if you you want to do so. basically just give the customer a heads up on the situation.    

34 minutes ago, TomTint said:

We remove whateuwe need to in order to get a good install. If that means removing all of it...so be it. 

With an attitude like that, you may find yourself installing some new caulk  at No charge.

7 minutes ago, MikeMN said:

With an attitude like that, you may find yourself installing some new caulk  at No charge.

Negative. .. If we show up somewhere that the glazer put the caulk on with a floor broom.... it gets removed. It's either that or they get another company to do the film. ... We have been around long enough enough to know what to do and when to do it.