Electronic Malfunction From Tint?

Hi tinters,

Completed a C300 Benz 2022 model a month ago and customer is saying that there was malfunctioning buttons for the boot, tail light and petrol lid. They're saying that the guys at MB said it was due to the use of water during the tint install that dripped and caused corrosion that messed up the electronics.

Never had an issue using my soap water combo to clean and install, until now. Cars are featured with drain holes, wires are covered/proofed and so on, am I missing something here?

Ta

There are many vehicles that I pass on because Water and electronics don't mix.  When we tint windows we use water that gets in places and on electronics that it really shouldn't. Sometimes this causes issues. It is a risk we both take(installer and customer).  Usually there are no issues and everything is just fine.  In some cases there are slight issues that go away. In that short period of time it did not cause corrosion.  It might have messed up something due to the water shorting something out.  A lot of times it goes back to working fine after it dries completely.  

On 5/25/2024 at 10:25 PM, Tint World Sterling said:

Is this still an issue with 2023 and 2024 models?

This can be an issue with all makes and models, in fact the more electronics that newer vehicles contain, the more likely something will eventually go wrong.

I personally worry most about tinting front windshields as we can't always see where our soapy water will end up behind the dash.

It is very strange... I've yet to have that problem myself.  You do need to he more diligent in your water management to assure less water usage.  If they're trying to hold you liable, refer them to your insurance.  Your insurance will investigate and deem who has responsibility.  If they deny it, your customer deals with the insurance and you're out of the liability. 

Though a resurrected post:

Break it down.

As Judge Judy would say, 'Your water, their car, you are responsible'.

Vehicle owner is not responsible and it would be insulting to ask them to check with their insurance.

Insurance comes into play; are the repair costs greater than your deductible, if so, you can go that route? However, insurance co's tend to react with raised rates with claims to cover your activities. From a long term perspective using insurance for every issue like the one you're facing, it could add up to being uninsurable. Save insurance claims for catastrophic claims.

If your company is on excellent financial footing and repairs fall under your deductible, you could simply accept the responsibility and pay for the repairs yourself. This would work in the long term by boosting your biz-client credibility through word of mouth. As you may already surmise, this would benefit over the long term. It's narcissistic to turn it back around on the car owner when you know or suspect you are responsible.

Business life lesson here; be selective in what vehicles get tinted, there's always another one that will fill the void without complications. Modifying approach to installation through moisture mitigation will also alleviate this type event.

:thumb