Pricing for window tinting - new tinters

Hi everybody, I plan to open a flat windows tinting business in San Francisco, CA. My partner is a pro in tinting with 15 years experience in our home coutry, I am a marketer. We need to set up prices correctly, not to mess up the existing market. 

Could you please advise the approach to price policy, or probably, the exact cost of the most common jobs? We will start with the most accessible films. We have an LLC, and plan to get all the insurances and licenses, and grow a legitimate business as we had in home country.

It could look naive, but i believe that it's always best to ask for advice. 

I would highly appreciate it. 

Thank you.

My advice would be to check with other local shops and see what they are charging. Try to get them to provide quoests via email so you aren't wasting a lot of their time coming out and doing a 'fake' estimate. 

Another idea would be to call the local reps of whatever films you are planning on carrying and ask them for some pricing guidance in your market. They may or may not be able to help. 

53 minutes ago, Roach said:

My advice would be to check with other local shops and see what they are charging. Try to get them to provide quoests via email so you aren't wasting a lot of their time coming out and doing a 'fake' estimate. 

Another idea would be to call the local reps of whatever films you are planning on carrying and ask them for some pricing guidance in your market. They may or may not be able to help. 

Thanks Roach, its helpful. 

Does it make sense to call existing businesses and ask for their pricing openly?

Like, I am new and want to know the basic local pricing. Don't need any your secrets.

9 hours ago, Basil said:

Does it make sense to call existing businesses and ask for their pricing openly?

No, no. Only in make believe. This is where you playact the role of a client wanting to have their windows tinted.

Have window glass dimension(s) ready and call. Explain you want an estimate on those measurements and you are looking for something in a medium darkness range. Play dumb about film and be careful not to let them in on you being a potential competitor.

The key is to move the conversation toward your end goal of getting an estimate without them coming to your place. Once you have a price from them you can reverse determine they're pricing per meter or per foot. 2-3 different calls would give a good range to work with in respect to setting your own pricing.