Can this be fixed? Wondering how this happens

Brand new vehicle, went to a reputable tint shop and had Formula One Stratos installed. When all was done the shop pointed out to me that they noticed an area on the back passenger window that looked like adhesive or residue but it would not come off. They said maybe it came from the factory this way or something?

Running your fingernail over the area you can very barely feel a difference. What is weird it's almost a perfect arch and looks like a white residue with a sort of pattern to it. You can see it more so at certain angles and under brighter light. I have tried to clean it off with glass cleaner to no avail. I will attach a photo but it's kind of hard to show it accuratelty so apologies in advance.

I'd love to hear your input on the following:

1. Is there any way possible that the tint shop somehow caused this? I know tint goes on the inside but is there any prep, adhesive, heating to shrink etc.. that might have left this mark?

In all fairness it's possible it was there before I tinted the vehicle but I am just surprised I would not have noticed it since the rear windows came factory dyed (I think someone said 20-25 measured) and looking from both the outside and inside I never saw it. The tint added was 50 so certainly darker and thus blemishes more visible.

2. Is something like this fixable? Assuming it can maybe be buffed out or something? If doing so would it impact visibility in that area when looking out or in?

Worst case I just live with it.

Thank you so much for any and input.

img1.jpg

That looks like a mar on the surface, hard to see until the tint is installed due to adding contrast. Not likely that the installer is at fault. You might be able to polish some of that out. Use a professional glass polishing compound and maybe ask a car detailer to do it.

I agree with @Dano except that it is on a factory tinted glass. :chin  I still think it's a marr in the glass but not sure why it is showing up like it is unless it is on the outside.  Just seems off/odd to me. :dunno  

I did see the same type of thing on a front door (laminated) of a Grand Cherokee the other day.  Made the damage really stand out after tint but that was on a clear window, not factory tinted. 

Edited by Bham

1 hour ago, metagamers said:

As far as I can tell @Bhamit seems to be on the outside of the glass.

then Dano was correct about trying to polish it out with the proper glass polish.  Much care and experience is needed for this type of repair.  

If it is on the outside of the window you should try a bit of Autosol metal polish on a rag to rub it off.

Autosol is one of the only polishes that will take stains, rust, rub marks and water spots off glass without even telling us on the package how good it is!

For anyone who hasn't tried Autosol, do yourself a favor and get some from your local auto shop next time you're there.

You will thank me later

I tell people that if Autosol can't clean up their window then they're outta luck.

autosol.jpg

2 hours ago, Jdogg said:

I have seen an acid do something similar to this…have you tried lightly using a razor blade or steel wool carefully?

no, aside from window cleaner I’ve not tried anything else yet like goo gone, a razerblade, etc… I’ll probably leave that to the detailer.

question: when polishing glass will it impact the visibility after? I guess I’m now weighing between having them try to correct it or just leaving it be.