Sales tax on tint?

Guest dinan323

in virginia, the state sent around auditors to check on all the local tint shops. film is considered a product and therefore must be taxed, now whether you pay the tax when you purchase the film or charge tax at the installation you have to do one or the other. here is how we used to do it. take the average cost of the material for a car and tax that. in reality it comes out to $1.00 per car.

the only problem with that is filing for sales tax at the end of the month. therefore it make more sense to pay the tax as you buy the product.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in Texas also, and what I was advised when Igot my tax # from the State was

to pay tax at time of purchase and to lump the job together.

Such as:

FUll Tint 1) PITA car.

Materials and Labor: $---

Then, record subtotal and grand total as the same amount with a line through the sales tax box.

This was 12 years ago when I got my tax # things mighta changed since then.

But, if you do NOT pay tax at time of purchase, list the price of the tint at 50%

of the total and make a profit on the material.

When the Customer mentions how expensive it is and what Wally World sells it for,

mention the higher quality films cost more !

But, if you do NOT pay tax at time of purchase, list the price of the tint at 50%

of the total and make a profit on the material.

When the Customer mentions how expensive it is and what Wally World sells it for,

mention the higher quality films cost more !

if you have to break it down like that then definately mark up the product for profit margin that keeps you in business. I pay tax upfront that is how the state recomended me when I was inquiring.

Guest Key West
Here in Indiana, Labor is not taxed. Yes, I break it down on the receipt, but nobody ever asks why the film is so cheap and the labor so much.

If they do, I'll just tell them that I'd be more than happy to charge more for the film if they want to pay more taxes.

Kinda like the TV repairman handing his customer a bill for 250.00

Customer 250.00 for a f#@kin' transistor?

Repairman No, the transistor was only 1.00, it's 249.00 for knowing WHICH transistor! :spit:spit:rollin

Guest haroldshouseoftint
Kinda like the TV repairman handing his customer a bill for 250.00

Customer 250.00 for a f#@kin' transistor?

Repairman No, the transistor was only 1.00, it's 249.00 for knowing WHICH transistor! :lol2:lol2:spit

:rollin thats a good one I gotta remember that :spit

Guest HeatShrunkSS

I"m in Tennessee and our accountant informs me that I'm not allowed to charge my customers tax on flat glass installs because the government considers it a "service".......... :whisper:thumb

Where are you from?

Let me tell you the way we do it here in ALABAMA (yelled loudly for an unknown reason) :rollin

I pay tax on my film and supplies when I purchase it. You do not have to pay tax on labor here yet. So I don't have to break it down as long as I can prove that taxes were paid on the purchase of the materials. You can compare this to a body shop using paint and materials. Lots of dealers do the same here. Buy the detail supplies paying tax to save the headache of seperating it later. I have heard and seen people put a shop fee at the same percentage as sales tax and slide it in under (literally) the blank spot that says sales tax. Makes it look like tax but was actually a bogus shop charge. You do what you like, I consider this dishonest making one thing look like another.

But to answer your question, The above is how I get around breaking it down. It's not illegal or dishonest in any form of the word. It's making life simple by not seperating it for you, the state, and the customer. hope this helps :thumb

What state are you buying your film from though? Because I am in Alabama too but since the manufacturer is in Florida they can't charge me sales tax so I have to charge the customer then pay it to the state of Alabama.

Archived