Method of cutting

Guest pAiNtBaLlEr88

Which method do you use for cutting tint?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which method do you use for cutting tint?

• Plotter
    • Outside of glass
    • Template
    • Other method
    • All of the above

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mostly use the outside glass, but I find some quarter windows to be a real pain in the a** sometimes- The ones that only have a straight rubber and no "black perimeter" (cant think of the name)- So I use a plotter/x-pel for those.

I have a plotter here for ppf anyways- might as well use it.

Guest BCCwintint
plotter's are for wussies.

[*]239554

you only say that cuz you wouldn't know how to work one :lol6

j/k homo...er.....TINT :poke:spit

[*]239560

:spit

Oh I cut on the outside of the glass, by the way. If I get good at that then I dont need plotters, computer cutters, etc. (I hope.)

I trim by hand on outside. For those who use plotters, how consistent are they as far as the top edge of the film lining up at the top?

[*]243417

From what I hear, not consistant at all, I think most of the plotter guys wind up shaving the tops. :lol2

Guest asistint

defeats the purpose. I juse believe no 2 windows are identical. I've had flat glass cut and the shops can never get them perfect they are allways of 1/16 inch and that's huge when it comes to lining the tint at the top. A couple of weeks ago a customer brought in some "precut film" that he ordered off of ebay. He said that is was solar guard film, it felt kind of think. Anyway, it was definently cut by some amature. We tell customers we won't use there films, but since the film was a "top 10" film he just charged him the same. The car was a Mitusishi Diamante, they don't have the rubber edging around the top. Man it was cake. It gave me a taste off what a plotter would be like. Saved some time. If plotters were better than human acuracy I could see the benefits off it.

Guest pAiNtBaLlEr88

What I think would be cool is a software program (along with the hardware needed to complete the task) that would scan the window and make measurements accurate to the tinter's tolerance. Then the measurements are converted into the software a plotter recognizes to cut the tint. Of course, if this were to become true, you'd have to pull panels and remove the window completely and would only save time on roll up windows or windows that can be removed quickly and easily.

I trim by hand on outside. For those who use plotters, how consistent are they as far as the top edge of the film lining up at the top?

[*]243417

From what I hear, not consistant at all, I think most of the plotter guys wind up shaving the tops. :trustme

[*]243420

Well looks like I'm the only one using a plotter! I hand for 15 years-and still do with the amount of old school cars coming back! I dont know about most programs-I've used 2-tinttek & FilmDesigns2.0.The patterns only fit as good as the persons that cuts them out and scans them in.Tintek patterns fit most cars nice. FilmDesigns pattern makers have 25years experience.Their patterns -in my opinion --are as good as they come.They have updated daily any short-or inconsistent patterns! It also allows the tinter to make adjustments to a pattern -shorten -lengthen-cut contoured visors-in 20 seconds! But understand-plotter skills are a must. I have done vinyl since 92' so I've mastered that! Its not as easy as you might think-but after 2.5 years of using mine--I very seldom scrap a piece in the plotter.my opinion is --I will use it till the blade falls off! I just wish the old school patterns were in there!ss :thumb

Archived