FORD FIVE HUNDRED

Guest Jason

The last 4 or 5 of those cars I have dont I just started cutting around the brakelight. I just trum the little rubber nubbs off and cut it tight so there is no light gaps visible from the inside.

:bling My time is more important to me than having to tear some persons car apart to tint 4 inches of back glass that they probably wont even complain about anyways :dunno

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all. Just stumbled across this site and this thread...just wanted to add my 2 cents. I've only done a couple of 500's, and didnt have a problem with them...BUT.... Here is what my tech site said about them ....

that there is a wire from the brake lite to the computer that can be disrupted, disturbed or broken. If in fact it is broken, there is a real possibility of fire.

Hope this helps!

Just heard of a guy this happened to....careful!!!

Guest BLACKOUT SoKal
:poke I saw the warning about the 500's catching fire in the IWFA magazine so WATCHOUT KIDS!!! seriously though just cutout around the third brakelight, not worth the trouble or the risk. im right by a ford dealer and have done numerous 500's straight off the lot and just cutout the light. do it clean and people dont even know that it could have gone any other way :)

Guest boneyak
:lol2 Everyone here has read about the FIRE or heard about it, but can anybody give me a lead on some facts like who, when or where? I could really use some info on someone who has delt with it personally.

I did one today but I did pull the rear deck. Cost me some extra time but charged the customer accordingly. As far as the rear deck fire, I have heard of it but if you ask me the problem is Ford's. If you cant remove the rear deck on the car without it catching on fire then in my opinion they should go back to the drawing board. If it is true then that just tells you what a real POS the car really is.

Guest siberiamichigan

I have tinted dozens and the cut outs are the sanity saver...but what is with the new 500 auto roll down on the drivers door..SHEESH!..like I needed another twist.

this is about the stupidest design, did an '08 Taurus today, pulled the deck and yes, it sucked, took about 45 minutes, couldn't get the C pillars off, pushed the deck down on the sides to release it from the C pillars (getting it back in sucked as well), don't know what I'll do with the next one......

As far as these cars burning down after the deck is removed, I think that's BS, I heard the guy cut the wire when trying to pull it out of the light assembly (which makes no sense cuz you can twist it out), but there is no way what I did today would affect the cars computer and make it burn to the ground. :mad

I know one thing, I might make a copy of some of this thread to show people "Sorry, if I remove your rear deck it might catch on fire, see." And I'm sure the customer will say "Screw that, just cut around it!" That's what I'm thinking. :D

Guest scottydosnntkno
Since I got a bulldozer squeegee those back windows around the brake light havent been a problem.

Trim the rubber nubbs off and squeegee away like a mug.

thats how its always done. usually any car I read about on here as being a pain, all you need is a bulldozer and your fine. same with the lincoln LS's, so many people say their a pain this and that, but with a bulldozer, theres no issues at all.

the one I'm tinting right now has felt on the lower gaskets and hard plastic on the upper gaskets. anyone had any issues with these scratching? I'm gonna felt 'em to make sure I don't, but I haven't heard of this yet on these cars. :lol2

I bought one of these a year ago. Felted the weather strips and cut the rubber nipples off. Piece of CAKE!

As for a car - This is the best American car I have ever owned. :nope

Archived