Old bug...I'm in need of help

Guest naughtydog

Guest naughtydog

I ahve in my shop an old VW beetle...I have taken the rear and side windows out to tint them.

Now, the sides are done - but the back glasss has me beat.

I just can't seem to do it in one piece.

I have tried with powder twice and then the soap method. It seemed to lay down better with the soap but the top corners just seem impossible. :evilgrin . I have tried with suntek dyed film and Llumar ATR...

I have tried pulling the film whilst shrinking, all the tricks I know but I still end up either over shrinking it or with fingers that will never go down.

I dont know if many of you have done these in one piece but I seem to be able to do most back glass's, I did a civic hatch this week no problem- but this biatch...It ain't having any of it . When I flip the glass on it's back to mount it - it really is like a banana.

Another problem is that it does'nt have any heated rear window elements - so I cant piece it ( not that I would know how to piece it).

I'm in need of inspiration and your top tips. :cool

Naughty

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest metint

Take it slow... work one quarter section for a bit, stop, move to another allowing a cool down of where you were just working. Do this for the entire window... a bit at a time, moving to another area, doing some and moving to another. Letting the film cool for a bit before shrinking more will give more control over the rate of shrink in the material.

I attempted one of these a couple of years back with an all metal film and after three or four tries I handed the heat gun off to the shop owner and said it was his turn. Never did see it get done.

Tough one that's for sure. Best of luck... :cool

Guest TINTINGCOWBOY

I use wax,and push all the fingers to the center of the glass as much as possible,sometimes I even push the limits of the film and go at forty five degree angles,I shrink really fast with the gun really close to the film so it shrinks fast and cools fast.fast or slow allowing it to cool is the only way,bring it all to the center from the start and cut into the meat of the finger and youll get it,it took me two years to get that simple concept down.

Guest Key West

I agree with tintdesignz, I've done quite a few older bugs, and some new ones from mexico, old body style. wet shrinking os the way to go. they are nowhere near the biotch the new beetles are :cool:lol

Guest ninjatinter

I agree. Wetshrink makes it a bit easier to lift and rewet, so you can manouver problem fingers around easier. I find a good reggae CD and some beer belp also! :cool

Guest naughtydog

I have done a new beetle and this seems a lot toughter...the curves are more compound due to the smaller glass .

Oh...by the way...I've still not done it!!

Archived