Guest Murph.
how much cheeper is it to order a kit? 

what does the average kit cost you?  I mean cost best buy

madico average is $to $per sq ft

the average 4 dr is mabe 28 sq ft

average cost to cut yourself is !!!!!!!

cost of program is !!!!!! per day

cost of plotter on lease is !!!!!! per day

I left the prices out for unworthy eyes but I have the numbers and I seriously doubt that you can get the kit for less then it would cost to cut at the store.

not trying to be a whatever  but if you want to talk facts break it down.  and if you dont want to improve as a tinter then why start its not worth the headache to go half way.

Im just a little passionate about tint,  and thats not a good thing.

[*]308411

Well I don't have all the answeers for you. A $175 4 door car install consists of $75 labor. $100 is in product. They pay shipping. I will have to llok at the margin on the product. Remember this is just a test so far. Maybe at one point we will have one local bay with a plotter.

Today I had a bad piece of film on a 2004 Saturn l300. Luckly I have some extra pieces. I cuut and modified a piece of film from a Grand Cherroke. So I cut and had to shrink that piece for it to work.

I am a 12v installer first and formost. With 12 years experience there isn't much that I can not do in my field. I am learning tint one day at a time. Do I love it? No but I have to do my job.

Thanks

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can relate, untill 2 years ago I was MECP for over 8 years. I loved that too. it is alot cheeper to order the rolls then the kits.

Any thing worth doing is worth doing well.

especially if you are just getting started, now is when you will be building a reputation, make sure its a good one.

Guest Murph.

I didn't say we paid $100 for the tint. That's what the customer pays. Employees bay 50% for theit tint. I will have to look at cost. There has to be at least 40% markup or we wouldn't do it.

I fogot to mention that they give us 3 hours to do an average car. We don't over book or rush jobs. My installers make between $10 and $19 an hour depending on experience.

[*]306313

Good luck finding a tinter to do an average car for only 30.00 to 57.00 dollars :shock

[*]310778

You don't get it. Cars only take 2 hours at the most. The tint is already cut and shrunk/stretched. I average 2 hours on a 4 door car and I am a newbie.

I don't think you get it. You will not find an experenced tinter to work for that kind of money. It takes years of pratice to be able to do a complete (from start to finnish) tint job. (you will find a newbie/h@ck though)

The material is not the expensive part of a tint job, its the TALENT to be able to install the tint that the coustomer is paing for.

We ( tinters that have 5 or more years) have seen many stereo, detail, body, etc, etc try to ad window tinting on to their buisness and fail at it.

I kinda view "best buy" as the "walmart" of the electronics world.

Guest whale hung
I don't think you get it.  You will not find an experenced tinter to work for that kind of money.  It takes years of pratice to be able to do a complete (from start to finnish) tint job. (you will find a newbie/h@ck though)

The material is not the expensive part of a tint job, its the TALENT to be able to install the tint that the coustomer is paing for.

We ( tinters that have 5 or more years) have seen many stereo, detail, body, etc, etc try to ad window tinting on to their buisness and fail at it.

I kinda view "best buy" as the "walmart" of the electronics world.

[*]310808

hell yah brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer

Murph, I think we are dealing with idiots on this board. Try --- or contact me for a listing on my --- site. I have been talking with Allen about joining with the Bray group because of the great things they are doing with the industry. Look at my post for a tinter and you will agree we are most certainly looking for people in the wrong place. Good luck!

Stan

We do free install on radios because our compeditors do it. We didn't invent it. We can't afford to do $99 tint and alarm jobs. We will stop tinting before we cut our throats.

Like I said before. I can only speak for my store. We have a great crew of people.

The tint is sold with a life time warranty on install and product.

[*]306310

You do have a nice web site there Stan, and I see that you have a dozen or so shops.

But I fail to see how I am an "idiot" for my above post about paying a tinter so cheep.

And that I get tired of people thinking its so easy to get started in this field. I'm not saying thats it imposible, just not a get rich quick (I don't think murph is trying to do) that so many think.

Archived