Part time tinter needed in Mesquite TX

Guest Murph.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guess you can sign me up as one of the "dummys" that continues to post on this thread.

The more I think about this, the more my brain hurts!? I understand that the kits are bought ready to install and I can see the advantages as well as the disadvantages to this.? I'm not going into all that, the members here have done a super job of that up to this point!

Here is what keeps going through my mind!? I don't know who or where these kits are being assembled, but I'm sure just like everything else, they will eventually perfect this process and get the cost down to a level that a shop could literally have every car ready to install before it gets in the shop.? Especially someone with the capitol that Best Buy has!

In a perfect world, which we all know doesn't happen in tintland, I can do 4 four-door cars in an 8 hour day.? Just for arguments sake, suppose I had my film ready to install when the car rolls in the door, well, that will take about 20 to 30 minutes off my install time of each car and give me an extra couple of hours during the day.? At $50 a kit, which I'm sure is the retail price, I would spend $200 a day on film, and save 2 hours.

I hear the average car is about 25 - 28 square feet.? With film costing around a $x.xx a foot off the roll, that's not that big of a difference.? With the extra time I'd save tinting with premade kits, I could do an extra car each day and that would mean more $$$ in my pocket.

THE NUMBERS:

Old School:

4 Four-door cars retail at @175 each...? ? ? ? ? $700

Cost of film @ $xx to do each car...? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? $112

PROFIT.........................? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?  $588

Premade Kits:

5 Four-door cars retail at $175 each...? ? ? ? ? ? $875

Cost of film at kit price of $50...? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?  $250

PROFIT........................? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?  $625

Even the most seasoned tinter would have to admit that the numbers don't lie.? In a five day work week, that's an extra $185 I've put in my pocket!? ALMOST $10,000 a year!? Don't get me wrong here,? I know in the real world things don't work like that and I'm not saying that this "kit" method of tinting is going to take over the market, but you have to consider the facts.? Granted this is a whole new realm of tinting that I'm just now learning about, but I'm not so closed mind that I don't actually learn about the method before I jump to conclusions because I stared out tinting camaro rear windows with 5 - 7" strips of film in the early 80's!

If you understand that last statement? you have to be a little more open to new ideas!? Where would this industry be today if we were still installing film like we did 15 and 20 years ago.? I don't mean to sit on a soapbox and preach here, but give a little more thought to new ideas before you jump in with some comments that you may regret later.? I bet I can do a search and find SEVERAL posts where someone is saying "Dry shrink a back window?? Dryer sheet what?? You've lost your mind!"? "I'm all about baby powder" or "I'll never switch from wet shrinking!"

We all joke and poke fun at anyone with a new idea and occasionally, they turn out to be right!? This could very well be one of those situations!? I'm not saying it is or isn't, but only time will tell.? I know if the Best Buy in my neighborhood starts tinting windows, about half the shops in town will close or start slashing prices to compete.? A single Best Buy has more foot traffic in a day that most of us do in a year.? The volume of people would eventually pay off!? No matter what the method, they are in a store they trust and will pay a little extra to have a "familiar name" doing the work on their car.

I don't know much, but I do know this!? With the economy in the shape it's in right now, anything is possible!? Again, I'm sorry if I have offended!? I hope everyone in here is successful in whatever they attempt to do!? If nothing else, remember this...? No matter what you think you know, competition is GOOD for your business!!!

[*]311849

here comes another "dummy"

here goes a few Questions

1) are you going to order a kit for every car that is out there?

2) what if someone dosnt show up? maby you dont have thoes but I do

3) do you order extra incase you screw up? maby you dont but I do

3) what if the customer decides at last minute and wants to change the shade to light all arround?

4) what if the car you ordered is wrong?

if you read my posts I think people need to learn how to tint if they want to offer it.

YES there are changes in the future that are comming, and no one can stop them.

but to be limited to only precut and shrunk tint can damage a tinters future.

and looking at the madico price sheet their film is less then quoted

dont forget to figure shipping per roll and shipping per kit.

and if any of the above questions come true there goes your $$$ down the drain

I really hope things work out for murph with the tint and if bby up here was hiring I would probably apply.

for 19.00 hr and no responsibility people would be nuts not to.

but I stand by my fealings of LEARN IT ALL if you want to do it right. then take the shortcuts.

dont take offence remember this is the internet :beer

[*]311904

1. Customers tint is ordered when they pay for it.

2. It's already paid for.

3. No we get one piece for each window.

3. We only carry 55% & 35% for cars. Trucks have 55%. 35%. 20% and 5%. You get what you order. I have had a few people return the tint before it was installed. Full Refund

4. We reorder. This has happened a few times. I got a two door accord order in. It has 4 door accord tint in it. This was am Employee. He was cool about it. Second time was our mistake. A 2004 F150 kit was ordered. My boss didn't realise there is 2 models in 2004. New body and Heritage.

Sorry about the $$$ issue, didn't think about that, had too much else on my mind at the time.

Tigerstripe makes a good argument! Sure there are factors to consider with all of your questions and they are all certainly a factor, but there are also factors in every day operations that change without notice. I'm not trying to support nor defend the "kit" method of installation, I'm just trying to point out that things do change, and whether we like them or not, they do happen from time to time.

When Ray Crock opened McDonalds, he never intended to sell hamburgers! His intention was a shake stand, and look what happened.

*** Some useless trivia for those who didn't already know... Ray Crock, founder of McDonalds was originally a restaurant equipment salesman. One of his best customers, you guessed it, one named "McDonald" ordered 8 milkshake machines for his chain of restaurants. Crock was so thrilled by the order that he flew to McDonalds location and they began talking about opening a chain of shake stands under the name of "McDonalds". Well, as fate would have it, their dream exploded! However, they were not successful in the shake business, it was Big Macs and Quarter Pounders that made them famous! ***

Anyway, back on topic here. Anyone who knows me or anyone that I have worked for in the past can testify, just ask mountainman, I have my quirks just like anyone, but I'm not tinting windows and living from paycheck to paycheck either. I've made good and bad decisions along the way and I will always support the old school method of tinting, bar none! But I am open to new ideas and changes when they come about. Just because it's something I don't already do or something I haven't heard about, doesn't mean I'm going to knock it in the dirt at first mention.

I have no doubt that some people on here make far more than the $19 per hour mentioned earlier in this thread, but are you also offered health care benefits? Life insurance? 401K? Paid holidays and vacations? If one does their homework, you'll find that benefits account for about 35% of your salary in just about any good work environment. Therefore, your $19 an hour just became a little over $25.50 an hour. Some would still argue that they bring home more than that, I applaud anyone who does, but the fact is, most of us do not! Sure there are a few weeks here and there when the money rolls in like water, but there are also times when it is nothing short of a drought!

Oh well, I've beaten this dead horse about as much as I care to. Whether you agree or disagree with "kit" tinting, or any other method of tinting for that matter, don't be so closed minded that you immediately downgrade anyone for trying to make a change or a difference. Murph, good luck with your "test tinting" and be sure and let us know how things go!

Archived