Help! Contamination after tinting

Guest newtintr

The only other thing you can do to minimize the effect of the contamination is to wrap a hard point(like a corner of a credit card) in a soft towel and try to flatten down the surrounding air that is around the contamination(be sure not to rip the tint while doing so )  :mad

[*]329826

OMG I did that on that mustang I did.... an hour and a half to shrink and install the back glass. then I'm squeegeing out some water and forgot to wet the film first and it ripped the tint right in the middle. I was sooooooooooo :bat

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tint rookie
The only other thing you can do to minimize the effect of the contamination is to wrap a hard point(like a corner of a credit card) in a soft towel and try to flatten down the surrounding air that is around the contamination(be sure not to rip the tint while doing so )? :mad

[*]329826

OMG I did that on that mustang I did.... an hour and a half to shrink and install the back glass. then I'm squeegeing out some water and forgot to wet the film first and it ripped the tint right in the middle. I was sooooooooooo :bat

[*]330957

RRRRRRRIIIPPPPPPPPP.......followed by yosemite sam swearing, tools a flyin.

Guest axleback

Hey tinting gurus, I got 1 question when tinting the back glass with that nasty strip of dot matrix. When exactly do you apply the Elmers glue? Here are the steps I'm planning on taking:

1) tint as usual and lay the film in the back glass

2) squeegee (including the dot matrix portion)

3) Peel off the film down to the last row of dot matrix

4) Wipe off any left over water from the dot matrix

5) Apply the glue evenly on the dot matrix

6) Place the film back on and use a hard card to smooth it out

Is this correct? After applying the glue, do I need to respray? I wouldn't think so since that would dilute the glue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey tinting gurus, I got 1 question when tinting the back glass with that nasty strip of dot matrix.  When exactly do you apply the Elmers glue?  Here are the steps I'm planning on taking:

Is this correct?  After applying the glue, do I need to respray?  I wouldn't think so since that would dilute the glue.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[*]331161

Sounds glued to me... but I wouldn't dilute it too much, if at all...

4) let dry without wiping

5) apply a thin line of glue where the film meets the dots....or glass

6) lightly push up the glue and film with a hard card wrapped in a blue shop tower

don't try to push out all the glue

Metint do you know of a better glue than 'ol blue?

the elmer's has ammonides in it :gasp

Hey tinting gurus, I got 1 question when tinting the back glass with that nasty strip of dot matrix.  When exactly do you apply the Elmers glue?  Here are the steps I'm planning on taking:

Is this correct?  After applying the glue, do I need to respray?  I wouldn't think so since that would dilute the glue.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[*]331161

after #3 I just run a thick line of glue at the point where the dots and tint start. then squeegee the glue up and the tint down at the same time. that way I dont usually have excess glue driping down off the glass.

Back to the original subject... I know these places selling these pre-cut kits are in it to make a buck, but it pisses me off when they advertise that the most difficult part of the job is cutting. IMO, it is way more difficult to do a perfectly clean, damage free install. This is just my opinion, and I have spent way more time researching different application techniques to improve my quality, than I have spent on improving my cutting techniques.

Archived