How can we improve this forum?

Hadn't this been tried once before?

hi ric...in all sincerity, what I might suggest would be to make a consumers forum...one for automotive and one for flat glass.? the fact of the matter is, consumers do have questions that seem silly to everyone but them and they need to be answered just like you would address a customer in your store.? just mm's? :lol

[*]353647

I think that is a great idea... :lol6

[*]353648

hi ric...in all sincerity, what I might suggest would be to make a consumers forum...one for automotive and one for flat glass.? the fact of the matter is, consumers do have questions that seem silly to everyone but them and they need to be answered just like you would address a customer in your store.? just mm's? :bat

[*]353647

I think that is a great idea... :hmmm

[*]353648

:dunno

[*]353666

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MidcoastMW

Well, I have been hangin around here for a lil bit.....and I will say the number one thing I came to notice a little odd was the lack of moderation. I do like how 'free' this forum is, but as stated above in previuos posts, it can go a lil too far. And by too far I mean steering a potential customer away from an installer on this site, or even worse, window film at a whole!

I think TintzAlot had a really good idea with the 100 post restriction.

I also think that having a customer forum is a necessity. BUT, it would have to be heavily moderated because you know that some installers are going to bash a customer for asking 'something stupid' .....its just the nature of the beast, therefore we would need moderators. moderators that are not afraid to do their job.

So in a nuttshell,

I love the site, think its great. I just dont like the idea of a potential customer comming here for info on window film and readding about "PAPA SLANGIN TINT JIGGRAZ" or goat conspiracys. Im sorry but it just makes the whole industry look kinda bad.

So if we sanction certain forums......put up some post rescrictions, and up the mod level a bit........I can deff. see a much smoother running tintdude.com

:dunno

Soooo what your saying TT "MANG" is whenever the unsavory "!llegal TINT CROWD" post it up here in this forum you give them a shout out KUZ your the KING OF !llegal TINT PAPERS :dunno Or if some crazy guy "mug" says he is gonna put TINT on the outside of the glass.....so basicly TT you post in all the !llegal, CRAZY, COCKAMAYME threads :lol6 and if those type threads didnt exist you wouldnt post in them :hmmm

You might get a few smart azz answers but I bet your question ALWAYS has been answered right? None of us get paid to post help here....getting alittle ribbing is a small price to pay for all the info you can suck up here :lol FOR FREE

You need to remember that NONE of us ( old dawgs) had a forum like this to share info with when we learned to tint, ultimately alot of us try and feel out a new poster to see if he is actually WORTH giving the free info to, if you act like a little @#$% you get trampled, if you stay and take it you will be rewarded with people that will go out fo their way to help you.

need to add a bull @#$% session for the comedians on here, some of us ask questions for help and all we get sometime is a smartass

Besides have you actually ever worked with other tinters :dunno we are all smartazzes in real life :lol6 atleast all the ones I know are :lol

[*]353685

:hmmm

I think mdog hit it on the head. Tinters as a rule are not politically correct robots. Bunch of smartazzes is what I've seen all these years. :lol I doubt that'll ever change. Doesn't mean we don't take our job serious. I think it's quite the opposite. Why else is the site so busy? The whole world caters to these hyper-sensitive types nowadys...makes me wanna barf. :bat

As for customers....9 times out of 10 they are looking for info to go back and nail a shop that did work for them. It's bullshiot since the shop isn't around to give the other side of the story. Simple questions, fine...disputes over the work? no fkn way. this isn't the customerfknservice hotline :dunno:lol6

As for customers....9 times out of 10 they are looking for info to go back and nail a shop that did work for them.  It's bullshiot since the shop isn't around to give the other side of the story.  Simple questions, fine...disputes over the work?  no fkn way. this isn't the customerfknservice hotline :dunno  :lol6

[*]353742

:hmmm:bat

I see no reason to have public involvement.

If this is to be a professional forum for tinters, then this is what it should be 100%..... for window film business owners, tinters, distributors etc..

One where we can talk about things in confidence that the public doesn't need to know.

devil :dunno

[*]353560

If the forum was not public, there wouldn't be any members, it's a catch 22.

The subscribers area is the best solution for this, but only a few are willing to pony up the 50 cents a day for it.

hi ric...in all sincerity, what I might suggest would be to make a consumers forum...one for automotive and one for flat glass.  the fact of the matter is, consumers do have questions that seem silly to everyone but them and they need to be answered just like you would address a customer in your store.  just mm's  :lol6

[*]353647

I agree, I have added a "consumer questions" forum. :bat

how about this, just came to mind,

when you have someone on ignore, to not see them at all??? :lol  instead of seeing they're screen name and have to see that you decided to ignore... :lol  :lol

[*]353661

Not possible :lol

Here's my opinion..We (the tinters) are no different than other people..we have our good days and our bad days ..and different personalities and different ideas of what this site means to us on a personal/business level than our peers on here.

The beauty of this site is that we don't HAVE to choose which direction it should take, but rather create the forums to match the individual interests and level of responses(sounds difficult..but really rather easy ).

Example:

If there is a "Customer Forum" and a customer (conducting themselves in a proper manner) asks a question in there ..they should be treated with respect by all members who make a conscious choice to post in that section..if you have nothing positive or constructive to add to a customer..or your not on this site to help a customer in the first place..then simply don't post in that section..leave it for the members that WANT to help customers.

Now likewise..if we are all cutting a bit loose in the foo bar and a customer starts shooting off their mouth on something we say or do in there , then by all means tell them a thing or two..after all ..it's most likely what you would do if we were all having a beer together in a real bar after a hard days work talking about tintslangin' pappas comparing notes ,etc and some white collar came over to the table and started telling us how to do our jobs, etc..we most likely wouldn't put up with it.

In short..there's a place(forum)for all our diverse personalities ..just remember the great thing about having different avenues within the TD forum .

It's not just a Website with one place only to post..it's a community where we can all get our wants and needs out of it with respect and understanding of the other members on here and their individual needs and wants from the site :lol

[*]353673

Well said. :dunno

need to add a bull @#$% session for the comedians on here, some of us ask questions for help and all we get sometime is a smartass

[*]353684

I agree, I wish it was possible to keep the tinting part of the forums more professional and have the smart assness confined to the FooBar, but like others have said, that's not really practical. :dunno

one suggestion I got is maybe we can have a certain area where new users with 100 or fewer post are restricted from, because most consumers only post once or twice and I don't think they will make it to 100 post. That way those of us in the industry can speak freely without the general public seeing our bad behavior

[*]353706

You can speak freely in the subscibers forum if you are worried about posting sensitive information :dunno

also....what about multiple aliases :dunno  there is one person in the classifieds who I know has had at least 3-4 different aliases in the last year alone.  not really fair for someone to act like a complete idiot then change their name for the next unsuspecting potential employer :hmmm

[*]353720

I wish there was a way to prevent multiple accounts but as it is, all you need is a different email addy to register a new account. Usually these multiple accounts are soon discovered and dealt with. If you have a concern that someone may have multiple accounts, PM me with the info, and I'll check it out. :dunno

Well, I have been hangin around here for a lil bit.....and I will say the number one thing I came to notice a little odd was the lack of moderation.  I do like how 'free' this forum is, but as stated above in previuos posts, it can go a lil too far.  And by too far I mean steering a potential customer away from an installer on this site, or even worse, window film at a whole!

I think TintzAlot had a really good idea with the 100 post restriction.

I also think that having a customer forum is a necessity.  BUT, it would have to be heavily moderated because you know that some installers are going to bash a customer for asking 'something stupid'  .....its just the nature of the beast, therefore we would need moderators.  moderators that are not afraid to do their job.

So in a nuttshell,

I love the site, think its great.  I just dont like the idea of a potential customer comming here for info on window film and readding about "PAPA SLANGIN TINT JIGGRAZ" or goat conspiracys.  Im sorry but it just makes the whole industry look kinda bad.

So if we sanction certain forums......put up some post rescrictions, and up the mod level a bit........I can deff. see a much smoother running tintdude.com

:lol

[*]353737

Tough call there, the forum really isn't for consumers, so having the consumer area might help.

This is a comunity, so there will allways be ribbing and such, that's part of making friends. The humor does get out of hand once in a while, but hopefully most of that will be in the FooBar. :lol

Guest VOLTRON

well like midwest said I think a there should be some restrictions to where someone under a certain amount of posts can have access too. I dont think it should be 100 cause if they are limited to the areas they can post in it will take them a while to get to 100 and what if they are a tinter and not a consumer.

I do agree that sometimes customers a steered away from this site and are givin a bad experience from the forum at times. I know people ask dumb questions to us, but that is what we do all day and it is our business, its just like when one of you go to buy a computer, im sure some of you sound stupid to someone in the computer business. These people arnt in the tint biz so they are going to ask questions that seem dumb or common knowledge for the likes of us tinters.

I agree, I have added a "consumer questions" forum. :lol

It's been done before and died a quick death, if my memory serves me well. Consumers or anyone else will always post where there is most activity (general). It's that instant gratification thing our society seems hung up on. You should be in a tech service position and see the reality of that. :lol

I agree, I wish it was possible to keep the tinting part of the forums more professional and have the smart assness confined to the FooBar, but like others have said, that's not really practical. :hmmm

It would really become a policed site by moderators and admin... if there isn't a professional strain in the poster at the time of posting, there is nothing a mod can do. :lol

You can speak freely in the subscibers forum if you are worried about posting sensitive information :dunno

Yep... and sometimes that forum is deader than other tint message boards. Must not be anything sensitive to say.

:bat

hopefully most of that will be in the FooBar. :dunno

Hope in moderation. :dunno

[*]353792

So... the only thing the site needs after a group conscience meeting is a consumer forum.

Not broke... don't fix it... guess the boss knew that. :dunno:lol

And ah... me a smart azz... :dunno say it isn't so... :lol6:dunno

Archived