2002 S 430 windshield tint / Cracking?

Guest ToddDevon

Guest ToddDevon

I tinted an S 430 with 35% Llumar Jet (a Dyed film). The customer came back 3 hours later and the bottom right corner of the windshield was cracked in two places right next to each other. No evidence of any stone chips on the out side. Anyone ever experience such problems?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1PEECBARETTA

IF YOU HEATED THE GLASS to get fingers to lay down , then there is a good chance that you broke it from getting the glass to hot in that area.don't do it again.windshields are laminated safety glass.no heat on them.

Guest ToddDevon

But the fact that it wasn't cracked when it left disturbs me, in addition aren't all the windows in that car laminated, or at least the back one?

You know, here is what kills me here. 1) It is !llegal in all states to tint the windshield. 2) AN insane person would be the only one willing to heatshrink on a windshield. 3)Windshields are made of laminated safety glass, which consists of two curved sheets of glass with a vinyl layer laminated between them for safety, and are glued into the window frame. 4) The side and rear windows are made of TEMPERED GLASS. 5) Laminated glass that is tinted will absorb to much heat and cause the glass to crack or break!

Guest tintgod

for one thing..I don know why you you would put that cheap azz puple out of the box tint on a car anyways.. :hmmm

and another...dont come crying about a windshield that was tinted !llegally..and it cracked...that is the price you pay for doing that.

as for why it wasnt cracked wene it left..it may have had a small chip or hair line crack in it under the molding..and with the film being on it..and the extra heat absorption...it was just enough to make it spider up and become visible.

Guest Beeline

:hmmm

I was thinking the same thing

as for why it wasnt cracked wene it left..it may have had a small chip or hair line crack in it under the molding..and with the film being on it..and the extra heat absorption...it was just enough to make it spider up and become visible.

You know, here is what kills me here.  1) It is !llegal in all states to tint the windshield.  2) AN insane person would be the only one willing to heatshrink on a windshield.  3)Windshields are made of laminated safety glass, which consists of two curved sheets of glass with a vinyl layer laminated between them for safety, and are glued into the window frame. 4) The side and rear windows are made of TEMPERED GLASS.  5) Laminated glass that is tinted will absorb to much heat and cause the glass to crack or break!

[*]384291

actually, these cars have lami side glass as well.

and yea, its pretty dumb to do a windshield 35% :thumbdown

I once in a while do winshields, but no more than 70%. but depends what customer wants to put on the back or sides, would make the front real dark.

Guest ToddDevon
You know, here is what kills me here.? 1) It is !llegal in all states to tint the windshield.? 2) AN insane person would be the only one willing to heatshrink on a windshield.? 3)Windshields are made of laminated safety glass, which consists of two curved sheets of glass with a vinyl layer laminated between them for safety, and are glued into the window frame. 4) The side and rear windows are made of TEMPERED GLASS.? 5) Laminated glass that is tinted will absorb to much heat and cause the glass to crack or break!

[*]384291

I once in a while do winshields, but no more than 70%. but depends what customer wants to put on the back or sides, would make the front real dark.

[*]384375

Guest ToddDevon
You know, here is what kills me here.? 1) It is !llegal in all states to tint the windshield.? 2) AN insane person would be the only one willing to heatshrink on a windshield.? 3)Windshields are made of laminated safety glass, which consists of two curved sheets of glass with a vinyl layer laminated between them for safety, and are glued into the window frame. 4) The side and rear windows are made of TEMPERED GLASS.? 5) Laminated glass that is tinted will absorb to much heat and cause the glass to crack or break!

[*]384291

[*]384375

ok, who should pay for the new glass?

Archived