help with rear view mirror mount falling off

Guest socal s

Guest socal s

HI,

I just had a new honda windshield installed in my s2000.

I'm using an aftermarket rearview mirror (auto dim, homelink, etc)

the aftermarket rearview mirror has it's own metal bracket that must be glued to the windshied. It stuck just fine to my original windshield, but it fell off 3 times when trying to glue it (with the two part glue) to the new honda windshield (after the oem mount was removed)

The glue is stiking just fine to the metail mount (have to sand the glue off to remove) but the glue is NOT sticking to the black square in the windshield (where the mirror goes)

What do I need to do, to the black square to not damage it, but get it so the glue will work, and or can someone please recommend glue to use for this. (my windshield guy gave up on the proper two part glue and on the last attempt and used the black urethane (that is used to glue the windshield in plaace) . this holds the mirror mount but has flex in it so the rearview mirror now is not steady as you drive.

It is clear that it must be attached with the right glue, but I need to know how to get the glue to stick to the black square on the glass.

Thanks

Tom

Guest zolar
HI,

I just had a new honda windshield installed in my s2000.

I'm using an aftermarket rearview mirror (auto dim, homelink, etc)

the aftermarket rearview mirror has it's own metal bracket that must be glued to the windshied. It stuck just fine to my original windshield, but it fell off 3 times when trying to glue it (with the two part glue) to the new honda windshield (after the oem mount was removed)

The glue is stiking just fine to the metail mount (have to sand the glue off to remove) but the glue is NOT sticking to the black square in the windshield (where the mirror goes)

What do I need to do, to the black square to not damage it, but get it so the glue will work, and or can someone please recommend glue to use for this. (my windshield guy gave up on the proper two part glue and on the last attempt and used the black urethane (that is used to glue the windshield in plaace) . this holds the mirror mount but has flex in it so the rearview mirror now is not steady as you drive.

It is clear that it must be attached with the right glue, but I need to know how to get the glue to stick to the black square on the glass.

Thanks

Tom

the 2 part mirror button re-mount kits work well for metal on glass

2 part epoxy will bond like mad to the silkscreen if the re-mount dosen't work

use some tape to hold it in place

and wait until is is fully cured to re-mount the mirror

a full 24 hrs if possible

:beer

actually, Loctite rear view mirror adhesive, the kind that the glass shops get, has a trichloroethylene primer instead of the crap acetone primer. Strong enough to hang a mirror if you hold it snug in place for 60 seconds without moving, period, you move, gotta start all over again.

it normally sticks faster than that. on certain windshields we buy them in bulk and they dont come with the brackets, we just reuse theirs. if prepped right and grinded flat enough they stick up instantly, but not always that easily

No offense, but that's some cheap ass glass, everything I've seen like that (Northstar and whatever) really should not be installed in any vehicle you even remotely want your name on.

Archived