Installing 4-mil hurricane film and prep...

Guest torque2k

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest torque2k
This is the craziest thread I have read in a while :ohcrap

[*]400041

You're telling me... :(

OK, so what you're saying is that the 4-mil is WAY out of spec, the installer can't be one who has put simple tinting on a window in a home, the Dow 995 is just as bad to tool as standard silicone, and we should run away from this job (which we still have the ability to do, as the paperwork is still incoming).

Is that about it? :krazy

I took a look at the link posted above for the DVD training. Would any of that information help much in installing security films? Is there any training set available for more flat-window work?

Finally, why would the job (and the film company) push 4-mil here, when it's to be used as blast protection? What SHOULD we be using?!

As rough as you've been, thanks much for opening my eyes. That's still helpful.

This is the craziest thread I have read in a while :krazy

[*]400041

You're telling me... :(

OK, so what you're saying is that the 4-mil is WAY out of spec, the installer can't be one who has put simple tinting on a window in a home, the Dow 995 is just as bad to tool as standard silicone, and we should run away from this job (which we still have the ability to do, as the paperwork is still incoming).

Is that about it? :nope

I took a look at the link posted above for the DVD training. Would any of that information help much in installing security films? Is there any training set available for more flat-window work?

Finally, why would the job (and the film company) push 4-mil here, when it's to be used as blast protection? What SHOULD we be using?!

As rough as you've been, thanks much for opening my eyes. That's still helpful.

[*]400042

HA, welcome to the world of film. :ohcrap

Sounds like you got sucked into a job by a company that cares ony about $$$. No company should be promoting 4 mil for hurricane or blast protection. 8mil with some kind of anchoring would be the minimum.

The DVDs? :nope Might give you an idea about the film but won't help much on this job. I'd give this job a pass, but sounds like you would be capable if you spent some time getting into window films...

Guest VOLTRON

Not doubting that you dont have the ability to do the work or are smart enough to figure it out and make it work but I think it would be in your best interest to subcontract the work out to someone that has experience with the industry for like many have said there is alot of liability in this type of work and 4 mil is not what should be installed here. It should be atleast 8mil. And with installing the DOW man that stuff is messy as he|| and will cause you alot of headache.

If I understand it correctly, someone at the USPS decided that the spec for this job should be 4 mil Concord film with DC 995 - the spec was not determined by the guy's company.

Which means that whoever does this job has the requirement to install exactly that film with that attachment. The installation company does have the responsibility to insure that the installation is done correctly and professionally.

Some here think the specified film is not sufficient - but that's not our call. If people feel strongly enough about it they can try to convince the USPS to upgrade the film - and some may decide they wouldn't want the job if the film is not upgraded.

Personally, if we were involved and the USPS made it clear THIS is what they wanted we would install this. And whether the film/attachment system is sufficient would then be their responsibility. I'm not a lawyer, but I wouldn't see any potential liability to us in the event of problems - we would not be guaranteeing the effectivenss of their chosen film/attachment system. Anyway, I'd take our chances.

Archived