Fingers drawing felt contamination

Guest naughtydog

Guest naughtydog

On some cars I get the following problem.

I shrink the film on the outside for an install with the door panels in place, my cuts are accurate and when installing the film goes in nicely behind the felt rub rail. For some reason you can get fingers that actually suck up some felt and leave a few small specks, they can be heated and chisilled to make the less visible.

What the best way to overcome this?? I was thinking of sliding a piece of security film between the rub rail and the glass - I have a gasket wizard but on the cars in question I dont think it would fit.

As always I welcome your suggestions

Naughty

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1PEECBARETTA

flush flush flush.works very well. at a downward angle ,spray away from left to right or right to left.useplenty of spray.good luck I hope this helps.1peec

o I forgot.this is when you are preping the glass prior to install.

best to get any tension away from the bottom and sides so that there isn't any fingers popping up. On a lot of cars you do have to shrink the film to make that even better.

Also for the bottom a paper towel wrapped around a hard card and ran along the window below the sweep will get a lot of the dirt. Flush it good, but too much water and you have just as many problems with the crap coming up.

Guest 1PEECBARETTA
Are you aiming to flush the felt away from the rub rail then??

And use plain water or mounting solution?

Naughty

mounting solution.and yes preshrink the tint slightly :bingo

I tape over felt seals that can't be removed with masking tape. It's a lot less headache.

Also, if you thoroughly shrink, I'm surprised you're getting fingers, but in any case, squeegee with a view to stretching out any sides that finger on you.

H

:bingo I even spend the extra dough and buy the green 3m clean release tape that is for hard to stick areas, because sometimes the blue doesn't want to stick to the felt if its been wiped down with vinyl protectant, or really dirty.

I use the green but I have found that a certain brand sticks well to anything. But in a tight where it doesn't, 3M green does the trick. Especially on areas you think might pull paint... Tape it all if you don't pull seals. I try to remove everything even close. 5 minutes R&R beats 20 minutes with the pink thing and a heat gun :krazy

Archived