WHats easier?

Guest Dexterity

Guest Dexterity

hey all, I would like to own my own tint biz:

1) should I stick to learning one or the other first, or should I try to learn both kinds of tinting?

2) should I start (business-wise) doing either auto or flat glass? or should I attempt both?

im assuming I can learn both, thats just a mate rof learning. I also am assuming that it would be better to start with one or the other; which one though? is automotive easier because it requires less tools (ladders etc).

any truthfull advice is great.

a local flat glasser around here says there is no money in auto, to cut-throat. I dont think im inclined to believe her.

DeX :cool

I would say there is a lot more money in flat, but jobs, at least in my area are fewer and far between. One thing I like about auto though is that people are coming to your "house" not you going into theirs. This puts you somewhat in control of the situations around you. It get's old dealing with cats and kids and people walking by and asking questions and trying to help and gusts of wind and etc. etc. Auto jobs you don't have to go out and bid, come up with various equipment to do jobs (booms, lifts, scaffolding), they are generally pretty quick and easy and you don't have to listen to the customer calling for the next 6 months asking if the bubbles will go away.

Guest vclimber

They are both hard in their own unique ways. All I know is that you are better off doing one or the other if you want to be really good and make the big $$$. Focus Daniel Son, focus... :thumb

big DEPENDS on this question.....selling the job, auto is easier, handle a 112" wide 96" wide flat glass window and the 48" wide 30" tall back glass of most cars is a small piece of film.....

install the big flat glass window in about the same amount of time as that back glass of the car and make 4 or 5 times as much profit.....

flat glass can be easy but is not always simple.....

automotive can be a royal pain in a lot of ways....

no simple answer.....

I do both and have since I started my business, but I learn very very quickly. My first flat glass was a "half moon" window that was close to 4 feet tall and 8 feet wide. This was up about 10 feet off the floor to the bottom. I used 2 extension ladders and had to deal with a very large and I am sure expensive chandelier that was hanging in the middle of the window at a distant back of less than 3 feet......

Somehow I was able to handle that one by myself and not break the chandelier! From there most others have been cake.

hope this helps,

ryker

Learn both, TRY to master both. see what makes you more money in your area. It's all about where your market it. And as I've said before, you can control your market to a degree. See what you like. They both have ups and downs. Good luck

Guest darkdan
I do both and have since I started my business, but I learn very very quickly. My first flat glass was a "half moon" window that was close to 4 feet tall and 8 feet wide. This was up about 10 feet off the floor to the bottom. I used 2 extension ladders and had to deal with a very large and I am sure expensive chandelier that was hanging in the middle of the window at a distant back of less than 3 feet......

No doubt. Around here EVERY house has 1 to 2 arch. I have no clue why. I'm always getting stuck doing them.

The biggest so far was 37" x 81". Of course, on my final squeege I somehow managed to hit the film with the screws on my unger handle and rip a hole in it! So I had to redo it.

I started with flat, then auto followed . IMO auto is more "detail oriented " with customer's noses pressed up against the &*^% glass once your done :dunno but easier in other aspects.

Commercial IMO is nothing but a royal pain in the arse over all with office equipment , computers, workers in the way , not to mention not being payed right away and going JUST to give quoted, jobs going out to tender, hearing a hard hat and protective glasses , setting up scaffolding...need I go on :beer I've done all that and don't miss it, I'd rather stay home and tint cars and work by myself and do the odd house job..I've always enjoyed them:DD

Archived