Heat Shrinking

All I remember was a friend of mine went to arizona for a year or so and came back and told me, man you gotta see what I learned and he showed the technique to me, that was in like 92-93 time frame.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest haroldshouseoftint

Depends on who you ask, I know a couple people out here one from south of Tucson area that was ahrinkin little stuff jeep back glass and stuff late 80's, I also know a guy here in Phoenix who is about mabye 60 now who claims to be the first tinter in AZ :gasp:beer but the technique has been around that I know of since late 80's, don't have a clue who was first

Depends on who you ask, I know a couple people out here one from south of Tucson area that was ahrinkin little stuff jeep back glass and stuff late 80's, I also know a guy here in Phoenix who is about mabye 60 now who claims to be the first tinter in AZ :beer:gasp but the technique has been around that I know of since late 80's, don't have a clue who was first

Thats probably close to my best recollection also as far as years go.

Wet shrinking was introduced to me in the late 80's, I cant recall the dry shrinking

Guest darkdan
Question....so window film back in the day would react to heat (shrink) and no one even knew about it and it wasn't manufactured to do so but it was just one of those hidden perks?

Polyester is a thermoplastic.

That ability is what makes a thermoplastic a thermoplastic.

My brother in-laws were doing it in the early ninetys up in Northern CA with TINT's dad. I heard about it in 92 from my father in-law who owned at the time Ace Window Products in San Pedro, CA. He had a guy named Ferman (spelling?) that was wet shrinking at that time.

When my father in-law explained it to me over the phone I had it all wrong. I played around with it until late 92 until I made a trip to CA and watched Ferman do it in person. Once you see it in person it makes makes the learning curve alot less curvey. :dunno

Archived