shrinking side windows

Guest haroldshouseoftint
whaaat, thats a really good idea, I never would have though about that, but what if the back glass is like a volkswagon jetta or something, pretty flat back glass man

he is talking about snapping the bottom edge of the film (I think) I do the same thing, but most doors you can just stretch the film, no heating required :beer

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest haroldshouseoftint

it depends on the car, the only doors I shrink fingers on is Bugs and Vettes, everything else either gets a quick snap or just stretch it, get your top tacked roll window up go straight down the center, and then stretch back corner down and squeege then stetch front corner and squeege the front half, done no shrinking :beer

Guest VaTinterPMan

Thats what I do, I even use the back glass or front Window as a peel board if it is a mobile job. I just dont cut anything on it and if I do I just put another piece of tint under it so it wont go all the way thru. You stole my idea that I have been doing man. LOL. It works great and once you peel the liner you just walk backwards with the tint its so easy and I get a really good clean job very few spots of cont. here and there in the cornors just a spec tho.

I'm personally not a fan of stretching..over time these are the windows that start to "finger" up prematurely over the yrs once the film loses it's memory.

You see it everywhere on bugs and baretta s that were tinted yrs ago compared to shrinking them a bit ..just an opinion and an observation though :beach

The couple side windows that I have had fingers show up on were very easy to shrink on the inside. Doing it this way maybe added an extra 30 seconds or so per window. Seems to me if you are careful and paying attention there is not anything to worry about damaging with too much heat. Am I missing something about this process?

Guest Tint Technology

I always use the same method on all cars, I check on the bottom edge first to see if it needs shrinking, shrink it then move the film down and check along the top edge, shrink it then fit. Never have to go back and shrink on the inside :beer When fitting, I never remove any panels (most euro cars have hidden screws and airbags) Align on the bottom edge first, lightly card, and slide down under the bottom seal. Drop the window a couple of inches, slide in under the side seals, align on the top of the window, slide the film down 1/8th" or file, job done! If the bottom seal (or gasket?) is tight, we use a 'L' shaped thin plastic strip which fits down the seal and gives enough room to slide the film down.

Guest Sprinter
after I shrink the bottom of the film on the side windows, I install it and most of the time I dont have any little fingers pop up from under the gasket, but other times on some cars I do, how can I avoid not getting those fingers I have to shrink on the inside, its such a pain. should I maybe shrink the bottom as usual and then pull it down and shrink the top of the film?

yes shrink the top of the film also won't hurt ya and it's already on the window anyway for the install so 45 seconds more of shrinking and your done.

I use the doors as my peel board.

it all works out in the end. most cars don't need alot of shrinking on the sides anyway. practice will make you better at being able to judge how much you need to shrink on the sides

Yea get better at judging what needs shrinking and force the fingers up then shrink!

Archived