Tips and advise for large panes, please

Looking for some guidance from you experience flat glass lads.

Have some large panes to tint, 37inches high x 116 wide. I usually can rely on some help from Dave at Diamond Tints and vice versa when we get larger jobs. But would like to know what you guys would do if dealing with this kind of situation on your own.

As you can appreciate, its the removal of the liner and application of the film thats a big problem with glass of this size on your own, Do you backroll the film along the glass :poke .

Any tips / advice appreciated

Uncle Bob

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I back roll it straight out of the box. Pull out the length I need, then cut it a bit bigger than the width. Then apply it to the glass, squeegee the center, trim it then squeegee the remainder. :beer:poke

Guest FilmBlazer

Precut the film before putting it up to the glass. You are prolly using 40 or 48" film.... If you are using 48 inch film, I would cut the piece down to 38" or 39" to make the film easier to handle and less likely to pick up debris.

Prep the glass and reverse roll the film right onto the glass :poke

You should have it down after a couple of windows if you have never done it before. The key is LOTS of water and take your time keeping that roll tight as you are unrolling from side to side :beer

Guest Key West
Looking for some guidance from you experience flat glass lads.

Have some large panes to tint, 37inches high x 116 wide. I usually can rely on some help from Dave at Diamond Tints and vice versa when we get larger jobs. But would like to know what you guys would do if dealing with this kind of situation on your own.

As you can appreciate, its the removal of the liner and application of the film thats a big problem with glass of this size on your own, Do you backroll the film along the glass :beer .

Any tips / advice appreciated

Uncle Bob

ABSOLUTELY back roll it!!! Ya better have a couple little giants, or gorilla ladders with a walkboard too, if they are not at ground level. Call me and I'll tell ya how I manage it it. They should really be no prob whatsoever, not withstanding the frames and thier condition. :poke

Guest haroldshouseoftint

I cut it on the glass first, (like a car window) then roll it off the glass, do a final clean squeege, and unroll it stick it on the glass squeege it out and move on to the next :poke

I work by my self 99.8% of the time without any problems

:beer

Guest RCOOTE

QUESTION?

Do you release the liner, wet the film, replace the liner, then roll up tight for the reverse?

OR

Do you wet the window and reverse right on to the wet window with the dry film??

THANX :poke

Guest RCOOTE
wet the window and reverse right onto the glass :lol2

PIMPING :poke:lol2:beer:lol2:lol2:lol2:beer:beer:beer

Thank you, That really eliminates a helper in most cases then.

I have 150 sqaure feet in a hair salon this weekend. First FG job ever. Windows are all small average 3 x 5 tall. I think I will do that for all of them.... :beer

THIS SHOULD BE A TIP OF THE WEEK - at least it is for me.. :beer

Archived