California tint law... Cut out brakelight?

Guest whatever12

Guest whatever12

Someone who knows more about cars than me told me if you have the third brake light behind your rear glass that you have to cut out a insert for the brakelight.

Is it true that in cali that you cant cover your brakelight with tint?

I just dont wanna get pulled over for tint unless my front windows are blacked out.

Thanks experts.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest whatever12

Anyone know if its illegal to have your third brakelight covered with tint?

One more thing... I got my tint done by a mobile tinter (3days ago) and thers some lint trapped between glass and film causing little bubbles with what looks like wet lint trapped in them...

Do these come out with time or will the bubbles remain when the tint is completely dry?

Either way im not happy with the back window and im having him come and do it again.

Guest haroldshouseoftint

no anything trapped between the tint will not disapear.

I don't know about Cali, I'm in AZ and as long as you can still see the light from behind the film, it's legal, in Texas, you have to cut it out.

CHP would be able to tell you, give em a call :thumb

BTW :thumb to the board :thumb

Guest whatever12

Alright then, thats enough for me.

When the tinter comes back out to do my back window im not gonna have him cut out for the 3rd brakelight. (lint trapped, he used a cheap towell to clean) .

Hopefully its powerful enough to see from 500 ft even with 80%blocking tint. Ive seen beemers and mercedes with the brakelight covered but their 3rdbrakelight is pretty damn bright even through the tint.

Guest whatever12

Its a late 90s integra. He removed the tail light last time and it took him a whole 20 seconds, but I had him cut out a hole for the tail light anyway because I thought it was the law.

Looks kinda lame, and theres some lint bubbles so im having him come back out and work with a lint free cloth this time. It will probably be even easier this time because he dosent have to take the time to cut out another pattern.

Woops.

I just hope the tail light on the integra is bright enough through the 80% tint.

Archived