Caddy CTS - back glass shatters after tinting??!!!

Guest kowalski383

Good luck in convincing the customer that' it's not your fault ( personally I agree with the others..not your fault ) . Put yourself in the shoes of the customer not knowing :lol6 about cars..would you believe you ? You might have to take one on the chin if you can't convince him otherwise ..just remember..do whatever takes the least money out of your pocket in the long run (see the big picture in the last part of the post) :rollin

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest haroldshouseoftint

:thumb I used to work for Caddy, and had a run of Cateras (which the CTS replaced) that would shatter within a week of tinting them,had about 8 or so that it happened to, it was a defect in the install of the glass from the factory, but with that being said, the car is an 03, I think it would have happened long before now.

But since it is a tempered window, and the film is holding it together, you can LOOK at the window and see where the break started from, (where the stress was relieved) all the cateras that we had to replace the back glass on, we looked at the glass, they all started from the same general area on the top, and when the glass was removed and urethane scraped out, there was a hi spot (bulge) in the pinchweld which would not allow the glass to sit flush, and when adding tint, the glass got hotter, and they'd pop :poke Been there, seen it......... I'd go look at the window before it gets replaced :rollin

Good Luck

Guest TINTING AZ

if it left the shop unbroken I would send him n his way :beer

if you buy a new car n drive it off the dealership lot n crash r they gonna give u a new car no :gasp

Guest goldtooth
Park any cold window under a overhead heater and see what happens with or without film. Spontainious glass breakage

thats good to know :eyebrows any way that has never happened to me,no way it,s the tint..if the window had shattered at the shop,that's a different story,but not at the dudes home,to many possibilities :evilgrin

man all the dealers I do have overhead heaters ...and all the cars a parked out side I never seen one brake yet and some are directly under them :rollin :rollin

If the temp was zero/ish and you drove the car into a 80 degree garage with hot air blowing on the window .... big gamble...

Guest blktbon20s

I tinted a 05 cts aprox a month ago..as far as I know the back window is still in one piece lol

When I got the car it was below zero..and brought it into my heated garage.

Maybe it was pure coincidence that it shattered the day after you tinted it :beer

Guest tintmanlibby
Hey Guys -

I'm new to the forum, but I'm curious to see if anyone has had this happen before.

I've been tinting since 1983 (professionally since about '90) and I just had something happen to me that never has before. I just had a customer return with his back glass shattered on a '03 Cadillac CTS the day after I tinted it. The job went smooth, no problems. The next day I get a call saying that his back glass is shattered; he brings it back and, sure enough, it's shattered. Anyone ever had this happen? I'm thinking it was a problem with the glass that may have been aggrevated by tinting. It shattered later that night (finished the job around 2:00 in the afternoon); it was kinda chilly out and raining, but nothing outrageous.

I've been doing internet searches, and it looks like a good many folks have had problems with Caddys and exploding back windows (with/without tint). I guess I'll replace it for the customer (if I was in his place it'd be hard to convince me the tint didn't have something to do with it, though this is a first). Now I'm afraid to touch a CTS.

Anybody got any thoughts/comments?...

how did you you take off the old cell phone ant. just throwing out idea's

Hi I know that I'm 8yrs late on this post but I tinted my son Ford Festiva, aka the Festy, and a few days later I took it out to get pizza  4 dinner and while I was in the car I hear a weird cracking sound and the rear screen blew. It stayed in the car and together because of the film. No one else that I have spoken to have had this event. Car had film on it for at least 10 yrs that I had stripped about two months earlier and then retinted later. Just luck of the glass I suppose.