Suntek

I'm kinda bummed out. :thumb

In November I left my position at a friends shop to do my own buisness again. There just wasn't enough work for both of us at Accurate Window Tinting and I needed to increase my income quick in order to feed my family. So far it's been a very good decision and I love being my own boss again.

I was useing Solarzone Auto/Flat and realized that the price I was paying for it was as much as we were paying for Vista or 3M at Accurate. I tried to negotiate a better price but the dist. wasn't budgeing. So after reading about all the positive feedback about Suntek on here I switched. The price is great, the HP film feels and looks very similar to LL's ATR.

I have been useing the SYDS line for my flat glass jobs without any problems. The last job I did is a brandnew auto dealership. I did 7ea. windows 68X68 dual pane with SYDS 35. The first two windows I did were early morning before the sun was up (cloudy). After I was done with the seven windows one of the mechanics asked if I could do his truck. As I was tinting this guys truck he points out a huge crack comeing off the side of one of the first two windows I tinted. I'm thinking no big deal I'll remove the film and get the dealer to claim a manufatures warranty being that they are only 6 months old. No dice the contractor tells him that when he signed the final walk through that he can't get the glass warrantied. IM THINKING THAT'S BS. The next day the dealer calls me and tells me that one in the parts dept. has a crack in the same place as the first. OMG im freakin out.

I hadn't even had time to mail the warranty in to Suntek. I call Allen at Suntek and turn in a glass breakage warranty. He is going to cover 800.00 dollars tword the replacement cost of 1500.00, the dealer has got to come out of pocket 700.00 and isn't to happy.

I feel so bad about what happened that I am thinking about offering to take the 700.00 off of the dealers morning room to cover the cost. I don't know if I'm being to nice, or what but I just don't want my NEW company MR. TINT to get a bad name right off the bat :thumb

Ok so Monday I'm up at the dealer doing a 04 Sebring 2door and I look up to admire my work and BAM there is another CRACK the size of the Grand Canyon which now makes three windows. I Swear it was happening while I was standing there, it was getting bigger before my eyes as the sun was comeing up.

I call Al at Suntek and tell him that there is one more window that cracked and asked if they were haveing problems with SYDS 35. He say "ya in CA we have had a few claims with that film, but that company buys 500,000 of film a year from us." So I say "you must be talking about BEST," yup BEST is buying film from them now. Anyway Al is going to China tomorrow and I'm just waiting for the dealer to get back to me.

The reason I put this in here is because I don't want anyone to think I am bashing Suntek. They are liveing up to their warranty. I just with I was buying half a mill of film per year from them so they would cover 100% of the cost. I just want to hear what your experiences with glass breakage have been.

Sorry for the long post. You can call me 302 331-1567 or pm me your number and I'll call you. I need moral support :beer

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mhun9180

JWF. Not one manufacturer offers glass breakage warranty. We have large amounts of laminated glass down here and the risk is way too high. I always have a signed disclaimer from the customer stating they understand the risk associated with thermal stress and that they take full responsibility for the breakage if it happens.

Guest haroldshouseoftint

That sux, I've only had 3 glass breakage claims in my little over 7 years of doing FG, never once had an issue getting them replaced, I don't use suntek, so I can't attest to their films, or warrantys, but I don't think too many mfg. don't stand behind the warranty.

Guest vclimber

When the glass on a commercial job starts breaking 1,2,3 and the Dist is not paying at least the max $500.00 per pane or is slow on warranty claims then it's time to pull off all of the film and run for cover... :beer

I've used that film many times for resi jobs... I don't think I've used it on commercial places yet. In the 3+ years I've been using SunTek, I had one window break... and it had 35% on it. Easy window that just popped in and out so I went to the builder, who was still in the neighborhood, and asked him for one.

GL on going out on your own again. :beer

-R

Archived