Fumes getting to me

Ok I use simple pink to remove glue residue off car back windows.

I have noticed a common occurrence over the last year or two.

This only happens when I am sweating a back glass off.

The ammonia fumes or whatever fumes that come off the hot glue on the glass have been getting down into my throat and irritating the hell out of me.

I sweated a back glass off Monday and I hadn't even gotten out of the car and my throat hurt and my voice was horse.

Its been horse all week and today I came down with cold symptoms. I know this exposure to the fumes from the adhesive and degreaser irritated my throat and caused this to happen. Its happened many times in the past adn now I can put two and two together. Now I am starting to wonder if this stuff has anythign to do with the allergies I have developed in the last 2 years.

I just went down and bought myself a half mask respirator good for blocking fumes from solvents and paint etc for future back glass sweat jobs. I have noticed havign throat irritation after using my steamer also.

Guest darkdan

Ammonia goes straight through those filters BTW.

Actually that's what the military will do. They drop an ammonia bomb apparently, it eats the filters, then they drop the real one.

Also, once they're open they're good for 30 days sitting around in a bag or 8 hours of use. So if you used an hour a week it wouldn't even be good a whole month, but like I said, the first time you use it you are going to smell ammonia!

I wear them all the time at the day job and paints that contain ammonia just go right through it. It's horrible.

Yes, I have no doubt it certainly has contributed to your problems.

At the very least you should wear a particle mask or something (put your shirt up over your nose). Fumes are one thing, but inhaling the actual liquid spray in the air will really get you.

The same thing happened to me using Simple Pink. I switched to Tint-Off a couple years back and haven't noticed quite the irritation. It does make me cough if I spray it on a freshly-steamed back glass that is nice and hot.

You guys in the hotter climates must have a lot more R&R work... I only do a couple a year. That is probably why there's more opportunity for irritation. I also do Pressure washing, with bleach and wood strippers, so there's plenty of opportunity for lung irritation there. Wear a proper respirator when necessary because some types of lung damage are irreversible. :beer

That is a good way to get cancer of the throat or nasal passages. My good friend's dad just got diagnosed with nasal cancer from his years of working as a horse trainer and cleaning up stalls and ect.. Always inhaled the fumes from horse manure and dust in the air. What happens over time is the epithelial cells in your throat and nasal passages get killed off and eventually mutated cells form and reproduce rapidly resulting in a tumor which could lead to cancer. Also be careful handling those chemical with your bare hands....basically your skin is porous and continued exposure to chemical in the blood stream can result in environmentally acquired Leukemia. Not trying to sound so dismal but trying to educate some of yah on the hazzards.

Actually that's what the military will do. They drop an ammonia bomb apparently, it eats the filters, then they drop the real one.

Also, once they're open they're good for 30 days sitting around in a bag or 8 hours of use. So if you used an hour a week it wouldn't even be good a whole month, but like I said, the first time you use it you are going to smell ammonia!

I wear them all the time at the day job and paints that contain ammonia just go right through it. It's horrible.

At the very least you should wear a particle mask or something (put your shirt up over your nose). Fumes are one thing, but inhaling the actual liquid spray in the air will really get you.

canyou walk on water? if so please explain. :beer

Guest darkdan

canyou walk on water? if so please explain. :beer

Nope, but after spending 8 hours spraying epoxy sometimes I feel like I can.

Archived