Three strikes and you're out!

:rollin Why would they want to short dealers on a partial roll of film? It causes more harm than good. They roll down off of 100' rolls... so for example let's say that they are trying to stick it to you as some suggest. So they give you 22 feet instead of 25 feet. Now what does that do to their 100' roll that will continue to be broken down into either one 50 footer and one 25 footer or three 25 footers. Someone is going to get extra while others get hosed! For what, a leftover 8 feet off of every 100 foot roll? Come on!!! Now why do that on purpose? How can they make a boatload of money from shortchanging dealers 2 feet here and there on roll downs with cheap commodity film? They shoot themselves in the foot and screw up their inventory, that doesn't make sense. :boogagay2:

I'm not saying stick with ST but I would venture to guess that the person running the roll down cutter is not paying attention. And when you sell cheap film, you have to hire cheap labor to do the mundane things like operate the slitter machine for roll downs. What do you expect is going to happen? :rollin

V,

This is not the first time I have heard of this one. Many shops that I know were using it complained not just of shorted cut rolls, but shorted FULL rolls. and yuou ask how they canmake money doing it? Short each roll 2-3 feet, and every 50 rolls makes alot of profit. They are relatively busy, so I would venture to say that they send out hundreds of rolls per day. And lets not forget the marketing campaign they were doing, half off your first order!!! I know of a shop in Phoenix that ordered $250,000.00 worth of film(only paid $125,000). Short them 2-3 on each and thats definately alot of film!!!! With giving away so much film, they have to make it up somewhere, nothing is really free!!!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many of these shorted rolls have rolled them out and measured? Was it just "I cut out x number of cuts and used x number of inches or feet on each cut??" I would think it very hard to say that you were shorted a couple of feet.

On partial rolls I know it would be hard to get exact on all four 25 feet rolls. I know that you can lose a foot on the core alone if they don't get it on the tape line just right when doing the roll down.

All of us will get to be paranoid that we are getting shorted if this is true.......

The first two rolls I did not measure before using, but I know the size of the windows I need to tint, how I pull from the box, and what I should have.

This third roll, because of the problems with the first two, I pulled out in my living room just to see if I had 25 feet, which I did not. It was more like 20-21.

Unless they use a normal Home Depot tape measure to measure the rolls, I don't understand why they can't get it close to correct. Other film companies do.... they shouldn't be any different IMO.

-R

You're correct, Roach. I used them for a bit and found many rolls I checked short. I use a film handler on every job and all my cuts are always 1/2" over size od the glass. I kept track on a few jobs where I used nore than 1 or two rolls of film and found each roll to be 2-4 feet short. Using a handler makes it easy to track your film. After this, I watched closely and kept written run on all film I used. I found more were short and asked about it, but got what I felt was a runaround. Thats when I moved to a new film line. As I stated before, if they short every roll even 1-2 feet, they skim at least one roll of film per day of shipping. Thats a ton of film by year end!!!!!

Guest tintgod
:boogagay2: Why would they want to short dealers on a partial roll of film? It causes more harm than good. They roll down off of 100' rolls... so for example let's say that they are trying to stick it to you as some suggest. So they give you 22 feet instead of 25 feet. Now what does that do to their 100' roll that will continue to be broken down into either one 50 footer and one 25 footer or three 25 footers. Someone is going to get extra while others get hosed! For what, a leftover 8 feet off of every 100 foot roll? Come on!!! Now why do that on purpose? How can they make a boatload of money from shortchanging dealers 2 feet here and there on roll downs with cheap commodity film? They shoot themselves in the foot and screw up their inventory, that doesn't make sense. :gasp

I'm not saying stick with ST but I would venture to guess that the person running the roll down cutter is not paying attention. And when you sell cheap film, you have to hire cheap labor to do the mundane things like operate the slitter machine for roll downs. What do you expect is going to happen? :rollin

how do we know that they dont cut it off a larger master roll?. :rollin

do we know where he is getting it from?

Guest vclimber
:rollin Why would they want to short dealers on a partial roll of film? It causes more harm than good. They roll down off of 100' rolls... so for example let's say that they are trying to stick it to you as some suggest. So they give you 22 feet instead of 25 feet. Now what does that do to their 100' roll that will continue to be broken down into either one 50 footer and one 25 footer or three 25 footers. Someone is going to get extra while others get hosed! For what, a leftover 8 feet off of every 100 foot roll? Come on!!! Now why do that on purpose? How can they make a boatload of money from shortchanging dealers 2 feet here and there on roll downs with cheap commodity film? They shoot themselves in the foot and screw up their inventory, that doesn't make sense. :boogagay2:

how do we know that they dont cut it off a larger master roll?. :gasp

do we know where he is getting it from?

Have you seen a master? Who's gonna wack 25' off of one of those? :dunno

They usually take 100's off of a master and ship them out the 100's to distribution where they can be rolled down to 25's and 50's. It is easier and quicker to cut off of the 100's. :gasp

Guest vclimber
:boogagay2: Why would they want to short dealers on a partial roll of film? It causes more harm than good. They roll down off of 100' rolls... so for example let's say that they are trying to stick it to you as some suggest. So they give you 22 feet instead of 25 feet. Now what does that do to their 100' roll that will continue to be broken down into either one 50 footer and one 25 footer or three 25 footers. Someone is going to get extra while others get hosed! For what, a leftover 8 feet off of every 100 foot roll? Come on!!! Now why do that on purpose? How can they make a boatload of money from shortchanging dealers 2 feet here and there on roll downs with cheap commodity film? They shoot themselves in the foot and screw up their inventory, that doesn't make sense. :gasp

V,

This is not the first time I have heard of this one. Many shops that I know were using it complained not just of shorted cut rolls, but shorted FULL rolls. and yuou ask how they canmake money doing it? Short each roll 2-3 feet, and every 50 rolls makes alot of profit. They are relatively busy, so I would venture to say that they send out hundreds of rolls per day. And lets not forget the marketing campaign they were doing, half off your first order!!! I know of a shop in Phoenix that ordered $250,000.00 worth of film(only paid $125,000). Short them 2-3 on each and thats definately alot of film!!!! With giving away so much film, they have to make it up somewhere, nothing is really free!!!

Even if that where the case, shorting 2-8ft off of a 100' roll screws the MFG/dist because what do you do with 8' left on a 100' roll? :rollin

Guest vclimber
On partial rolls I know it would be hard to get exact on all four 25 feet rolls. I know that you can lose a foot on the core alone if they don't get it on the tape line just right when doing the roll down.

All of us will get to be paranoid that we are getting shorted if this is true.......

The slitter machines that they use all have very accurate lineal measuring if it is calibrated correctly.

Here's a possibility... Unless a dealer measures the entire roll before cutting, wouldn't it be possible to not account for the 1-2" minimum extra that is pulled for each window in flat glass? 6 pulls at 4" extra would do it. All of that adds up.

Guest vclimber
I just order a whole roll. Then I have it in stock and push that film on the next person. Chances are if one person wanted it the next person will want it too.

:rollin And you probably pay less per sq ft doing it that way. :boogagay2:

Guest haroldshouseoftint
Even if that where the case, shorting 2-8ft off of a 100' roll screws the MFG/dist because what do you do with 8' left on a 100' roll? :rollin

Personal cars/houses, come on now, every rep knows that :gasp:lol2:lol2 :boogagay2: :lol2:lol2

What a 9000th post, nothing of value, just a smart azzed comment :rollin:gasp:dunno

Archived