global Film

Guest rmercer

not sure about the difference in the QDP and the HP, but I can shrink the HP just as well as I can any film. I find that it shrinks farther (did the Stratus back glass without a hitch where Llumar ATR would just barely make it) and that it shrinks with any method I have tried. Using my own Ryk Shrink it really shrinks great, but that makes any film form nicely.....

I can still shrink most back glasses in about 2 minutes with the Global HP.....

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest short arm of the law

hey bro, I am probably the newest of newbies. I've been tinting for maybe a month, I'm a ppf guy. My boss put me in charge of our new "tint division", I guess because I learned ppf with 3M film very quickly. Either which way, I was dicking around with a CLS500 that I am tinting for a auto company big wig and I tried your shrink method. Absolutley sick bro!!! Last time I tried to shrink the back glass it took 40-45 minutes. Please keep in mind my experience. When I tried your method (with the new Crystalline Film from 3M), it took 3 minutes once the heat guns were turned on. Thank you for posting your method. Sincerely dude, you made things alot easier for me. Just wanted you to know, your the man!

Guest thatsnappyguy
I don’t get it :) people having problems shrinking QDP! I love the stuff. :) Are you guys melting it or what? :rollin All I have used is the new stuff so I can't say about before. :)

Stan

I never had a problem with shrink it until I would get on the doors and snap the bottom. with the new qdp, it would seem to curl the other way and when its installed, the bottom wants to push itself off the glass. with this I would have to heat out the bottom after installs all the time, and I was getting alot of comebacks due to the film getting ripped by the rubbers. this went on for a few weeks. got some film sent back and got some more of the old "good qdp" QDP. but eventually we knew it was goin to run out of the good stuff so we went looking for a film that looks, feels, and performs. went to carbon. love it.

Guest FilmBlazer
I have stopped using Global QDP because it develops a distortion pattern if not installed the very same day. I sent back 2 rolls because I saw the same distortion pattern repeating in the rolls before I cut it off the roll. This distortion appears to be very fine little lines. I have tried to take a picture of it, but I have had a hard time getting it to show up on the digicam. Believe me though it IS there. And if you are doing alot of cars for a dealership, or have the same car to do over and over again. there is a certain amount of frustration in cutting the patterns ahead of time and then finding out a day or two later that there is distortion in the windows when you install. Global and Johnson Greystone have both done this to me, as well as ValueTint and Express Films. But I am almost certain that ValueTint and Express are "knock offs" of Global. The Glue and poly smell exactly the same.

Isn't it funny how you can peg a film by its scent? I have always found that interesting!

I was using carbon and trying qdp now. I'm nut sure I understand how to shrink qdp differently. if someone could explain I would be greatful. I'm using a glove and hard card toward the end. soap method. global rep told me I didn't have to use anything on the back glass to take out the static. well... I had static. got out the soap. carbon seemed to be half the time shrinking. I love the look and feel of the qdp. and have heard you can shrink it faster, but, I think I'm missing the trick to the shrink.

Guest thatsnappyguy
I've been snapping the new stuff and haven't had a problem. /shrug

thats just odd. I mean I know ur a pro as I am, I know u know what ur talkin about....the odd thing is that im sure of what happend. it just seemed during the transition, every order would seem different as in the way it handled. I kept a control as far as slip and same gun. I noticed differences when I would snap as I mentioned and also in the strength of the adhesive. it seemed the film would never tack as it used to. it looked like global, but surely wasnt what I was used to. after many attempts, send backs, and combacks, I gave up.

Guest darkdan

We must do it slightly differently or something.

I aim slightly higher than the very edge and I do my best to make sure both sides are dry.

Originally (the way my brother taught me years ago) I did it UNDER the film (the way originally advised by LLumar).

Guest willie
Are you getting line like bubbles running side to side as you shrink? :hmmm

try tape on the sides to hold it down :rollin

Sounds like too much heat is making it shrink too fast. Hold the heat gun further away or use the lift and pull method.
Sounds like too much heat is making it shrink too fast. Hold the heat gun further away or use the lift and pull method.

:beer DD is right on :hmmm It forms so easy that using too much heat is easy to do! You might try using just a pinch of baby powder over the window, lift and pull is great too. Keep shakeing things up with your forming method's and you will love the stuff. PM me if you want and we can talk more.

Stan

Thanks guys, I will try it. Training a new tinter. Willie stole my other one :beer

:bs he couldnt live off bounced paychecks

Are you getting line like bubbles running side to side as you shrink? :hmmm

try tape on the sides to hold it down :thumb

:hmmm DD is right on :lol2 It forms so easy that using too much heat is easy to do! You might try using just a pinch of baby powder over the window, lift and pull is great too. Keep shakeing things up with your forming method's and you will love the stuff. PM me if you want and we can talk more.

Stan

Thanks guys, I will try it. Training a new tinter. Willie stole my other one :thumb

Glad we could help is what Willie would say :lol2:lol2:lol2 don't train any good looking girls around him :lol2:beer

Stan

:hmmm

Or ugly girls for that matter.

I think if it has two X chromosomes it qualifies in Willie's book. =)

:hmmm

Archived