"Bullet resistant" window film

Guest Mitch

Guest Bulldog Direct
Bulldog, I don´t think Leo has ever said his film was bullet resistant, I´m saying all along that I can effectively stop bullets with security film, and I sure would stand behind the glass, no problem.

Regarding the tests for bullet proof glass, we do some tests for our bullet proof glass for vehicles ourselves, there is no need for us to make that official, our conscience is worth more than a piece of paper, our clients trust us.

30612_452755117575_421353192575_6000451_990852_n.jpg

Hello Vzia-Tint, I do believe that Leo has stated that his film can offer Ballistic Protection in a few of his posts and he just posted a photo of glass / film in a blue frame that was shot and failed to stop all of the rounds..

I'm a little confused you are using the terms " Bullet Resistant" and "Bullet Proof" ? Please explain a little more about your "Bullet Proof" Automotive Glass. What weapons can it stop? What are the velocity of the rounds that your glass can stop? , the number of shots, and what thickness of glass and film are you using. I would be curious as to who would purchase a set of Bullet Resistant Vehicle Glass that has no ballistic test reports. My U.S. Military and Government Customers would never consider a purchase of a non- tested product.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Almo

I think we are losing sight of the original idea here.

If we are able to apply security window film to certain glass, and if that procedure can at least degrade a round to AT LEAST non lethal status.. then that is a good thing is it not?

I believe we are all on the same side here boys.

Cheers

Almo

Guest Bulldog Direct
I'm a little confused you are using the terms " Bullet Resistant" and "Bullet Proof" ? Please explain a little more about your "Bullet Proof" Automotive Glass. What weapons can it stop? What are the velocity of the rounds that your glass can stop? , the number of shots, and what thickness of glass and film are you using. I would be curious as to who would purchase a set of Bullet Resistant Vehicle Glass that has no ballistic test reports. My U.S. Military and Government Customers would never consider a purchase of a non- tested product.

1. " Bullet Resistant" and "Bullet Proof": I explain my clients that "Bullet Resistant" will stop the bullet, a second bullet will be stopped but not as near as if it was a "Bullet Proof" glass.

2. We offer different levels of vehicle armor, conventional level NIJ II and IIIA, with their corresponding certificates. Beyond that, I offer my own level, which consists of net 13mm glass pictured above (look closely and you will see the velocity of the bullet), more than enough for our threads but with significant less weight, less modifications necessary and a little bit less price. Some go with the official tested glass, many go with my own glass (tested by us of course), like I said, a piece of paper doesn't mean %&$# at the end of the day...

Thank you for the explanation. However there is no such thing as "Bullet Proof Glass" Real Bullet Resistant Glass is designed to stop multiple hits or impacts from a given round that's way it is manufactured using several layers of glass as opposed to one thick piece glass and a film. The first bullet will be stopped and so will the second and third. Let's take a NIJ Level II 9MM parabellum round @ 124 grain FMJ with a velocity of 1135 to 1215 ft. per sec. NIJ level II calls for the glass to stop 5 shots with a 2" shot spacing with no penetrations. I can't tell from the photo of your glass and film what you shot it with distance and or the shot velocity ,which is measured with a chronograph. 13MM glass is a very good product using standard 5/32 auto glass and 1/4" polycarbonate with a bonding interlayer ,it will stop smash and grab attacks baseball bats etc. It is not ballistictly rated but it will stop 1-2 hits from very small handguns, but will not take stop multiple hits due to the fact this it does not have the mass of using several layers of glass. A medium to large handgun round would go right through the glass in a heartbeat..!

Guest Bulldog Direct

If we are able to apply security window film to certain glass, and if that procedure can at least degrade a round to AT LEAST non lethal status.. then that is a good thing is it not?

Cheers

Almo

What.........? Window film with a certain glass [ thickness] is the absolutely wrong solution when peoples lives are at stake.

I would think the original idea is to keep people alive . Sorry but I don't agree with your idea of slowing a ballistic round down. What is a non lethal velocity Please advise? I have never heard of slowing a round down to non- lethal status, bullets can do weird things when inside of a body. Shot is shot and dead is dead. I also do believe we are all on the same side here, some just a little misinformed.

Guest Almo

Without prejudice to anyone.

I can see from some comments that certain people are truly hung up on technicality, jargon and proper grammar. Let me try to explain it another way.

Scenario 1: Mr. Jones is behind a 3mm piece of glass and a round is discharged for whatever reason from a stand off of let's say about 25 feet ( 12m or so). There is ss film on the glass let's say for arguments sake... 14 mil. Round comes through the glass and strikes Mr. Jones. Mr. Jones is now either dead, or grievously injured.

Scenario 2: Mr. Jones is behind a 14mm piece of glass and a round is discharged for whatever reason from a stand off of let's say about 25 feet ( 12m or so). There is ss film on the glass let's say for arguments sake... 12 mil. Round comes at the glass does not strike but is stopped. Mr. Jones. Mr. Jones is now either hitting the floor, or running away.

Scenario 3: Mr. Jones is behind a 14mm piece of glass and a round is discharged for whatever reason from a stand off of let's say about 25 feet ( 12m or so). There is ss film on the glass let's say for arguments sake... 12 mil. Round goes through the glass but the velocity is slowed considerably due the the natural fact that the 14mm glass does decrease the velocity of the round and strikes Mr. Jones. Mr. Jones is now either wounded, hitting the floor, running away or dead.

One would think that given these three option, I would much rather put my money on scenario 2 or 3.

Look at ALL the Freaking Videos.... both mine and others that show the same thing. MY GAWD SIMPLE FACTS 1/2 inch glass..... several rounds of ammunition went into the glass. The glass and the film stopped the bullet... WHAT THE F*&@@@K is there to argue about?

geesh.

BESIDES ALL THIS.. we all know that this is NOT what Security Window Film is for of course. I am only mentioning all this, and doing these small tests out of curiosity and entertainment. IF by some chance it ends up saving a life, or giving the opportunity to save a life, then this is a good thing.

Cheers

Almo

What.........? Window film with a certain glass [ thickness] is the absolutely wrong solution when peoples lives are at stake.

I would think the original idea is to keep people alive . Sorry but I don't agree with your idea of slowing a ballistic round down. What is a non lethal velocity Please advise? I have never heard of slowing a round down to non- lethal status, bullets can do weird things when inside of a body. Shot is shot and dead is dead. I also do believe we are all on the same side here, some just a little misinformed.

Guest Bulldog Direct
Without prejudice to anyone.

I can see from some comments that certain people are truly hung up on technicality, jargon and proper grammar. Let me try to explain it another way.

Scenario 1: Mr. Jones is behind a 3mm piece of glass and a round is discharged for whatever reason from a stand off of let's say about 25 feet ( 12m or so). There is ss film on the glass let's say for arguments sake... 14 mil. Round comes through the glass and strikes Mr. Jones. Mr. Jones is now either dead, or grievously injured.

Scenario 2: Mr. Jones is behind a 14mm piece of glass and a round is discharged for whatever reason from a stand off of let's say about 25 feet ( 12m or so). There is ss film on the glass let's say for arguments sake... 12 mil. Round comes at the glass does not strike but is stopped. Mr. Jones. Mr. Jones is now either hitting the floor, or running away.

Scenario 3: Mr. Jones is behind a 14mm piece of glass and a round is discharged for whatever reason from a stand off of let's say about 25 feet ( 12m or so). There is ss film on the glass let's say for arguments sake... 12 mil. Round goes through the glass but the velocity is slowed considerably due the the natural fact that the 14mm glass does decrease the velocity of the round and strikes Mr. Jones. Mr. Jones is now either wounded, hitting the floor, running away or dead.

One would think that given these three option, I would much rather put my money on scenario 2 or 3.

Look at ALL the Freaking Videos.... both mine and others that show the same thing. MY GAWD SIMPLE FACTS 1/2 inch glass..... several rounds of ammunition went into the glass. The glass and the film stopped the bullet... WHAT THE F*&@@@K is there to argue about?

geesh.

BESIDES ALL THIS.. we all know that this is NOT what Security Window Film is for of course. I am only mentioning all this, and doing these small tests out of curiosity and entertainment. IF by some chance it ends up saving a life, or giving the opportunity to save a life, then this is a good thing.

Cheers

Almo

No problem Almo, no offense taken. Manufacturing and selling "Bullet Resistant Glass" IS very technical and very exact. There is no more jargon with regards to "Bullet Resistant Glass" than with your window film industry. You are absolutely entitled to your views but there is no need for the " WHAT THE F*&@@@K is there to argue about?" comment.

Scenario 1: Mr. "Smith" is behind a piece Underwriters Laboratories [u.L.] listed level 2 Bullet Resistant laminated Glass that is .986" thick @ 10.72 lbs per sq.ft. He is shot a with at .357 magnum handgun round of 158 grain jsp at 15 feet, the projectile is traveling at between 1250 to 1375 ft / sec. The glass stops the round. Mr. "Smith" is shaken and stirred up, but alive.

Scenario 2: Mr. "Smith" is still behind the same piece of Underwriters Laboratories [u.L.] listed level 2 Bullet Resistant laminated Glass that is .986" thick @ 10.72 lbs per sq.ft. He is shot at again with the same.357 magnum handgun round of 158 grain jsp at 15 feet, the projectile is traveling at between 1250 to 1375 ft / sec. The shooter's second round hits within 4" of the first...The glass stops the round. Mr. "Smith" is pissed off, but alive and well.

Scenario 3: Mr. "Smith" is again still behind the same piece of Underwriters Laboratories [u.L.] listed level 2 Bullet Resistant laminated Glass that is .986" thick @ 10.72 lbs per sq.ft. He is shot at a third time with the same .357 magnum handgun round of 158 grain jsp at 15 feet, the projectile is traveling at between 1250 to 1375 ft / sec. The shooter is a very good shot and the third round hits within 4" of the second.... a equal 4" triangle... The glass stops the round. Mr. "Smith" is now really pissed of but alive and well. I would put my money on #1,#2 and #3 and a few more shots. You are correct Security Window Film is not well suited for this application.

Guest Bulldog Direct
No problem Almo, no offense taken. Manufacturing and selling "Bullet Resistant Glass" IS very technical and very exact. There is no more jargon with regards to "Bullet Resistant Glass" than with your window film industry. You are absolutely entitled to your views but there is no need for the " WHAT THE F*&@@@K is there to argue about?" comment.

Scenario 1: Mr. "Smith" is behind a piece Underwriters Laboratories [u.L.] listed level 2 Bullet Resistant laminated Glass that is .986" thick @ 10.72 lbs per sq.ft. He is shot a with at .357 magnum handgun round of 158 grain jsp at 15 feet, the projectile is traveling at between 1250 to 1375 ft / sec. The glass stops the round. Mr. "Smith" is shaken and stirred up, but alive.

Scenario 2: Mr. "Smith" is still behind the same piece of Underwriters Laboratories [u.L.] listed level 2 Bullet Resistant laminated Glass that is .986" thick @ 10.72 lbs per sq.ft. He is shot at again with the same.357 magnum handgun round of 158 grain jsp at 15 feet, the projectile is traveling at between 1250 to 1375 ft / sec. The shooter's second round hits within 4" of the first...The glass stops the round. Mr. "Smith" is pissed off, but alive and well.

Scenario 3: Mr. "Smith" is again still behind the same piece of Underwriters Laboratories [u.L.] listed level 2 Bullet Resistant laminated Glass that is .986" thick @ 10.72 lbs per sq.ft. He is shot at a third time with the same .357 magnum handgun round of 158 grain jsp at 15 feet, the projectile is traveling at between 1250 to 1375 ft / sec. The shooter is a very good shot and the third round hits within 4" of the second.... a equal 4" triangle... The glass stops the round. Mr. "Smith" is now really pissed of but alive and well. I would put my money on #1,#2 and #3 and a few more shots. You are correct Security Window Film is not well suited for this application.

Your Mr. Smith must be disabled (mentally or physically or both), since every normal person would move to better grounds after the first shot. Even if Mr. Smith is sleeping he would have fallen off his chair after the first shot.

Nobody is trying to replace the importance of bullet "resistance" glass here, I guess you don´t get the point as a whole…

Yikes..... What ever dude..............! I did not know this "hypothetical" Mr. "Smith was disabled ( mentally or physically or both ) BUT remember he did not have to move to [ better grounds] because the Bullet Resistant Glass saved his life .

Have a good night

Your Mr. Smith must be disabled (mentally or physically or both), since every normal person would move to better grounds after the first shot. Even if Mr. Smith is sleeping he would have fallen off his chair after the first shot.

:bingo

This is a GREAT thread! :twocents

Guest Bulldog Direct
I begin to believe that somebody has a mental problem....

Oh Ouch.... Vzia-Tint now the personal attacks start. You go from amateur ballistic expert to amateur psychologist.

Too funny and now you have even insulted Handicapped - "Hypothetical" Mr. "Smith who you have "Professionally" diagnosed as being Disabled - Mentally or Physically or both.........How could you be so cruel..... lighten up Dude............!!

Take care and keep up the hard work.

Guest TexasBob
I begin to believe that somebody has a mental problem....

Hello all TexasBob here.

I have been reading this bullet resistant window tinting forum for a while now, and felt it was time to join and put in my 2 cents worth. we all build bulletproof cars down hear in texas, I find some of the comments and posts here a little outlandish. I can see that almo and bulldog are having a little fun. I sure don't understand why this vzia-tint guy needs to make personal attacks. But all in all it's all pretty funny.

Keep those bullets flying Bob

Archived