working for dealers

Guest tint stroker

until they find a shop down the road who will do it for $10 cheaper, I was a car salesman for 9 years before I started tinting

I have one dealership that I do some work for on a fairly regular basis. I KNOW that they won't go to anyone else. They know me, like me, love my work, and feel that they get a good deal. They have had others come and try to get the business, but they told them they were NOT interested!

Now I know a lot of dealerships will be that way, but you just have to find the right people.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dealers are also VERY loyal. Last year I got word from the sales manager of a Nissan dealer saying this guy came in offering tint at 50 bucks less than you charge. Before I could get a word in he said, 'don't worry we told him to take a hike as we won't let anyone work here who's not union). I told him,' you know I'm not union, right?' He said no, your family. I've worked at some of these dealers for years. I know everyone and get invited to their summer picnics as well as their Christmas parties.

My dealers are also VERY loyal. Last year I got word from the sales manager of a Nissan dealer saying this guy came in offering tint at 50 bucks less than you charge. Before I could get a word in he said, 'don't worry we told him to take a hike as we won't let anyone work here who's not union). I told him,' you know I'm not union, right?' He said no, your family. I've worked at some of these dealers for years. I know everyone and get invited to their summer picnics as well as their Christmas parties.

I agree. I have been primarily dealer work for 23 years. They have all told me the same thing at one point or the other. However, last June (08) one of these "family" dealerships tapped me on the shoulder and informed me that they were going in house to cut cost and allow their service department to make the money they were paying me. Everyone here told me that they would come back to me. Well, it's the dead of winter, I'm still waiting, and starving in the process. I am never again going to allow myself to become so dependent on dealer work. That one "family" store accounted for 2/3 or my business. It was great when the "family" sent their work to me. It really hurts now that they don't.

Bottom line - be careful when working with dealerships. If they get hungry enough, they WILL stick you to increase their bottom line. :krazy

In this economic climate, ALL bets are off.

Guest streetsounds

Have them sub the cars out to u at a low price. Thats what I do, I know everyone hates doin dealer cars cause of the price, but I did 8 cars in 2 days last week. Soo I had a pretty good week and they never send n e thing back to me. Just squeeze em in with the other cars im doin that day.

I offer a bird dog to the salesman lol dont know how legal it is but it works

All I do is dealer work. 3 of my dealers tint every car in their inventory before they are sold. So it is a good gig, keeps me busy. But, like most have said it is a risky business. I have been in good with these people for years and years. Some are my best friends. They would never let me go to get someone else in for less money. However, things are tight and they are cutting back like crazy. THey could let me go just to cut costs. Thy do make money off the tint I do so I am not too worried. Also like others said best thing to do is work as a subcontractor. It can be a pain to get your money sometimes but it is better than being an employee..Trust me , I have done it both ways. Then set a day for each dealership. Figure out which one gives the most work, maybe give them two days. Tell them to make appointments on the days you wil be there. It works out pretty well. All they want is the people to buy a car, get what they need to get and get the hell down the road and not come back till they need service. So if you do great work and no one comes back complaining, they will love you. They absolutely hate heat cases!

One of the busier dealership I do is getting rid of the accessory manager I deal with . You have to be concern when a new person comes in . They get mobile tinters coming in every week trying to get work cheaper. Also they have fired like half there staff so they are looking for every way to cut cost. They stop outsourcing alarms and video work they sent a couple installers to some training program . All I can do is give them good service but no dealer is loyal to you.

The Nissan dealer I do work for lets me do PPF on cars/trucks $30,000 and up. I convinced them by doing a 350Z and a new Maxima on the showroom floor at no cost to them. When those 2 vehicles sold, and the response from the custy being positive, and not to mention the profit the dealer makes...they were sold on the idea. There are a lot of people who still dont know about paint protection, and so many dealerships are clueless as well. They let me do EVERY 350/370 and Maxima now, some Altima/Coupes, some Muranos/Titans/Armadas. I make a great profit on them, and so does the dealer, and they arent done on vehicles where the custy would never want it (profiling/stereotyping??).

Archived