Taxing labor

Guest tint51

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll take a shot at that question!

Civil unrest, due to economic collapse, will make a tidy excuse to cease any rights not already taken in the name of fighting communism, Dr*gs, and now terrorism.

I've read this several times. Forgive me, but I'm not sure that I follow. :eyebrows

TintJunkie

Here is a table compiled by:

The Northeast-Midwest Institute is a Washington-based, private, non-profit, and non-partisan research organization dedicated to economic vitality, environmental quality, and regional equity for Northeast and Midwest states.

http://www.nemw.org/fundsrank.htm

The Far column lists the Ranking of Return.

The closer a state is to the top the more "welfare" they receive.

Note that in 2005 California received just .80 per dollar paid in Federal taxes. Texas, however, received .97

The other arch liberal states you mentioned Michigan received less than Texas with .94 and the other arch liberal state received just .82 also less than Texas.

Kinda seems like the conservative states are on welfare, in addition to having higher divorce rates than Massachusetts.

Well, so far I would have to agree with you. I cannot find anything that says different, yet anyway.

I did find this...

The state's cash reserves, already depleted by years of internal borrowing and budget gimmickry, are fast draining as the recession drives down revenue collections. To make matters worse, the meltdown of the financial markets prevented the state earlier this autumn from being able to sell the full amount of revenue anticipation notes it normally issues to keep its cash drawer full until most of its tax revenues arrive in the spring. Because the pool in the state's cash reserve is already so low, all of the remaining dollars will have to be loaned to the general fund over the next several months to pay day-to-day bills, leaving none available for infrastructure financing. And without drastic and immediate action by the Legislature to raise taxes or cut state programs, the state will run out of cash, in February or March, for any purpose. In Governor Schwarzenegger's words, California is "headed toward a financial Armageddon."

http://www.californiaprogressreport.com/2008/12/california_econ.html

And some stats on Texas and California economies...

http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.ca.htm

http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.ca.htm

Anyway, when I referred to Cali with their hand out, I was talking about Cali asking the gov't for money b/c they will run out sometime early this year w/o help.

I was just riffing on TintDude's sentiment that seemingly there are those who are intent on wrecking the economy not out of stupidity but rather design.

I think it is reasonable to infer that further consolidating police/governmental powers might be the underlying motive.

Maybe other motives could be at hand, but that is the one I'm betting on.

No problem, TintJunkie, just sticking up for what's left of our state.

and OCC, ya gotta at least see TintDude's home town before ya say that. I've been alot of places and Santa Barbra is a special place.

Guest Total tint
I was just riffing on TintDude's sentiment that seemingly there are those who are intent on wrecking the economy not out of stupidity but rather design.

I think it is reasonable to infer that further consolidating police/governmental powers might be the underlying motive.

Maybe other motives could be at hand, but that is the one I'm betting on.

No problem, TintJunkie, just sticking up for what's left of our state.

and OCC, ya gotta at least see TintDude's home town before ya say that. I've been alot of places and Santa Barbra is a special place.

LOL not saying it like that been to CA many times, just saying the way the government is doing things there, before you know ityou will be taxed everytime you take a breath

There is a part of this I think would obviously hurt Californians...

The state's cash reserves, already depleted by years of internal borrowing and budget gimmickry, are fast draining as the recession drives down revenue collections. To make matters worse, the meltdown of the financial markets prevented the state earlier this autumn from being able to sell the full amount of revenue anticipation notes it normally issues to keep its cash drawer full until most of its tax revenues arrive in the spring. Because the pool in the state's cash reserve is already so low, all of the remaining dollars will have to be loaned to the general fund over the next several months to pay day-to-day bills, leaving none available for infrastructure financing. And without drastic and immediate action by the Legislature to raise taxes or cut state programs, the state will run out of cash, in February or March, for any purpose. In Governor Schwarzenegger's words, California is "headed toward a financial Armageddon."

I would hope the state would cut state programs. As with every state, we are in a recession, and taking more money from people doesnt make sense. The unemployment rate is getting higher in Cali every month, and has not leveled off or gone down (again, same with all states)...it will in time of course, but I can only imagine it will get drastically higher if they decide to RAISE taxes. It would be difficult for employers to keep their employees if their taxes go up, which in turn will lead to more layoffs.

This is another reason the Presidents Stealfromus Bill, sorry...Stimulus Bill, will not work. Not only will it NOT create (much) jobs, it will cost you, me, our kids, kids' kids, and their kids' kids money. I find it heartbreaking when I watch Rachael Maddow or Kieth Olberman (just b/c I cant stand the two, but I cant turn away), they are talking about the parties the President has at night and what they are drinking, and not real issues. The only network that is breaking down the bill line by line is (of course) Fox News. Last night I watched Hannity and there was a chick on his show that broke down 1 billion (of possible stimulus) dollars of the 923billion dollar bill, and with that 1, it was estimated to create about 81 jobs. Where is this 3-4 million jobs? Not to mention should the bill pass, much of it won't be used until 2010/2011, when we should/will be out of this recession. :eyebrows

The saddest thing in life, is wasting time...

Of course the NATION BUILDING done by "he's not a REAL conservative" Shrub/Bush was not much of Job Creation Engine either.

Number of jobs created by spending $1 billion on defense: 8,555

Number of jobs created by spending $1 billion on health care: 10,779

Number of jobs created by spending $1 billion on education: 17,687

Number of jobs created by spending $1 billion on mass transit: 19,795

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2008/3/11/155421/333

Of course the NATION BUILDING done by "he's not a REAL conservative" Shrub/Bush was not much of Job Creation Engine either.

Number of jobs created by spending $1 billion on defense: 8,555

Number of jobs created by spending $1 billion on health care: 10,779

Number of jobs created by spending $1 billion on education: 17,687

Number of jobs created by spending $1 billion on mass transit: 19,795

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2008/3/11/155421/333

I agree, Bush was certainly not a conservative. He is not our President anymore, and our new one is proposing spending money for not much in return as well. Obama stated he wanted to cap the salaries of CEO's whose company had recieved bailout money. Although I do see why Obama wants this (I somewhat agree, but...), it is wrong. It is not our gov't job to tell us how much we are allowed to make, this is not how our founding fathers invisioned the power of the gov't. By Obama's statement of capping salaries, shows us his communist views/agendas. Its the same about wanting the military to stop pledging to the Constitution. Obama sees the Constitution as a flawed document, because it says what the gov't can't do TO you, and not what the gov't SHOULD do on your behalf. Somehow, even though he is on the record saying this, we still voted for him...silly.

TD, I cant agree more...the problem is, how/who/when are we going to be able to get back to this proven method of laisse fare (<---spelling?)

Archived