Plotter blows!

So I tried a plotter years ago and hated it. The software sucked, cuts were off and the blade sucked too. I gave up on that. Recently I have been helping a big shop that does high volume and use a plotter for everything they do. I can't remember the software, sorry. So after going through a little training on the plotter and software, relearning...I was excited from what they told and showed me. I was under the assumption that this new stuff works great and it is so precise and cuts perfectly. So I have done about 15 cars now with it. I don't think any of the front doors have lined up. It is even worse than I remember. I like to leave a nice 1/32 edge on doors. I can't do it cuz no matter how I line up the film to the top edge there is always an uneven gap. It is terrible. Not to mention the waste of time. Plus on some films it doesn't cut all the way through, just like I remember before. But for the most part the cutting thing isn't an issue. So does anyone else that uses a plotter have this problem? Are your doors precise. I mean like if you laid the film right to the edge, would it line up perfectly all the around? Cuz right now, this stuff is making me look bad lol. I could hand cut and shrink doors with perfect edges faster than that stupid computer. Sorry, but I had to rant lol. Oh and the best part id the money they spend on this thing. $350 a month for the software?!?!?!? AYFKM? I would tell them to get bent!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest scottydosnntkno

I don't know about the accuracy because I don't use plotter cut film(one shop I work with uses all Lulu PP on their autos and only plotter cuts, but I told them if they want me to install for them then I'm handcutting my own film) but as for not cutting all the way through its operator error for not setting up the film correctly. If they use it all the time they should know how much pressure to run with each particular film they have and use. Thicker films need higher pressure, and thinner ones need less. It only takes a few seconds in the computer or plotter(depending on the system) to change the down pressure.

if you don't have a plotter or plotter experience then why would you even bother posting in this thread scotty? :bingo

fact is all glass is different. they aren't all gonna line up perfect. I used to use computercut (totally sucked...ended up using it for graphics and vinyl only) and now I use precision cut. I'm more than impressed with precision cut's patterns. use them everyday all day long. the occasional pattern comes up that doesn't line up well but for the most part it's great. if it doesn't line up well on the top edge then slide the pattern up, shave it, then slide it down for the microedge. problem solved.

as far as not cutting the pattern all the way through...it's not necessarily operator error. it could be the sharpness of the blade, the cutting strip, the degree of the blade you're using, the speed. plenty of things can change how it cuts. with my plotter I use the same blade and pressure for 1.5 mil window film, 2.0 mil window film and 2.8 mil vinyl. but I do have a seperate speed setting for the film. I cut the film at a slower speed than the vinyl. that's what works for me. :bingo

as far as not cutting the pattern all the way through...it's not necessarily operator error. it could be the sharpness of the blade, the cutting strip, the degree of the blade you're using, the speed. plenty of things can change how it cuts. with my plotter I use the same blade and pressure for 1.5 mil window film, 2.0 mil window film and 2.8 mil vinyl. but I do have a seperate speed setting for the film. I cut the film at a slower speed than the vinyl. that's what works for me. :bingo

:bingo I slow down my plotter for alot of materials as well. Just because it can go wide open doesn't mean you need to all the time.

Thanks for the replies from people that ACTUALLY USE A PLOTTER...But thank you once again for your asinine assumptions Scotty. As Blade pointed out, it isn't user error. The machine is set up at different speeds and cuts for different films. They use several different brands and lines and have figured out what is best for each. The problem is that one of the films structure is cross woven. The blade doesn't cut it very well. It works just fine on all other films.

Blade your point about windows not being the same was my whole argument about plotters years ago. Especially on frameless windows. If I double cut them, the other one is usually a little off. Not to mention aftermarket glass. They're always off. And to have to raise the film and shave it then bring it back down for a micro edge is just defeating the whole purpose. Unless you are shaving every window. I am keeping an open mind and hope I get better results but I gotta say, right now, it sucks

Guest filmslayer

I've used plotters in the past and feel much the same as you nc , I used to increase the force a lil when cutting film .say if vinyl setting is 12 for film I would go to 15 ,also I have found the top edges not lining up also and some of it is do to the film flexing in the machine as it's being cut cause you can't run all the rollers down (track marks )

Holla...I dont want to get into the whole "which is faster" bit, but any experienced tinter knows how to bump film forward or backwards when Your cutting, to line up the top perfectly. And, afterall, who do You think makes the initial patterns for a plotter program? Uh...a HUMAN! :bingo I know a dude named Bob Holtzman who does it for a living. Hella good guy, and a great pattern cutter. You cant control ALL the variances when it comes to a computer cut. You CAN control Yourself though. :bingo

I use a plotter. I use FirstCut from Enpro, and there have only been a handful of patterns that have not worked. I love it. Sometimes it is a pain when you have to reset everything to get it to cut correctly, but when its cutting right its very fast compared to hand cutting. It really saves time for my dealership account, and when I know what vehicle is coming in. If someone wants their two front windows done on a Silverado, I can have the film ready to go before they get there. They can be in and out in 10-15 minutes.

nc, maybe try a different program?

Guest patternmaker

one of the best systems out is film vinyl designs. Check it out on line. Patterns nearly all perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived