Plotter blows!

Guest scottydosnntkno
Thanks guys ill see what I can do and let yall know how it goes..

This forum is like a family :spit Thanks!

most people treat it like family.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I agree they might be good for apprentice guys and stuff like that. I won;t even say they're good for dealer tinters that tint every car on the lot. I do that now and back in the day before our economy went third world, we did 75 cars a week that were the same car. I figured a plotter would make things so easy. Biggest waste ever. With two people we would pull two cars in. Both of us cut 3 sets of doors on each car, so 6 cars were cut in about 10 minutes. Then tag team the cars and do each in 30 minutes. The plotter, someone had to sit in front of then ween the excess off. Such a waste. IT is a good selling tool because people are gullible and buy into it. I bet I could sell it better though that our extensively trained tinter will hand cut the film specifically to your glass which has variations from car to car. Bentley's are considered some of the finest vehicles in the world. Their interiors are hand made. Anyway, I don't knock anyone for using them. Matter of fact, it seems like some of you have some nice programs. I wish we had that!

Actually, thats not correct. Remember, a plotter will cut ALL windows. You are cutting out roll ups. Having a plotter cut a back glass saves the most time. Everyone is different, but having a plotter has enabled me to do more cars in a day. In the morning (if at the dealership) I would cut out the patterns. It takes about 10 minutes to cut out 8-10 cars. Weeding the patterns takes 10 seconds. I dont weed them until im about to use them. The only thing that slows me down on the plotter, is changing the roll for a darker vlt on the back glass's. But cutting 10 back glass's would take 3-4 minutes. I am not gullible for buying it. I used to think the same way you think now. I got lucky and bought a great system. Like you said, I dont care if someone has a distaste for plotters...it has worked for me. :thumb

Guest scottydosnntkno
Yeah I agree they might be good for apprentice guys and stuff like that. I won;t even say they're good for dealer tinters that tint every car on the lot. I do that now and back in the day before our economy went third world, we did 75 cars a week that were the same car. I figured a plotter would make things so easy. Biggest waste ever. With two people we would pull two cars in. Both of us cut 3 sets of doors on each car, so 6 cars were cut in about 10 minutes. Then tag team the cars and do each in 30 minutes. The plotter, someone had to sit in front of then ween the excess off. Such a waste. IT is a good selling tool because people are gullible and buy into it. I bet I could sell it better though that our extensively trained tinter will hand cut the film specifically to your glass which has variations from car to car. Bentley's are considered some of the finest vehicles in the world. Their interiors are hand made. Anyway, I don't knock anyone for using them. Matter of fact, it seems like some of you have some nice programs. I wish we had that!

Actually, thats not correct. Remember, a plotter will cut ALL windows. You are cutting out roll ups. Having a plotter cut a back glass saves the most time. Everyone is different, but having a plotter has enabled me to do more cars in a day. In the morning (if at the dealership) I would cut out the patterns. It takes about 10 minutes to cut out 8-10 cars. Weeding the patterns takes 10 seconds. I dont weed them until im about to use them. The only thing that slows me down on the plotter, is changing the roll for a darker vlt on the back glass's. But cutting 10 back glass's would take 3-4 minutes. I am not gullible for buying it. I used to think the same way you think now. I got lucky and bought a great system. Like you said, I dont care if someone has a distaste for plotters...it has worked for me. :bingo

whatever makes anyone happy is all cool. different strokes for different folks :thumb

Actually, thats not correct. Remember, a plotter will cut ALL windows. You are cutting out roll ups. Having a plotter cut a back glass saves the most time. Everyone is different, but having a plotter has enabled me to do more cars in a day. In the morning (if at the dealership) I would cut out the patterns. It takes about 10 minutes to cut out 8-10 cars. Weeding the patterns takes 10 seconds. I dont weed them until im about to use them. The only thing that slows me down on the plotter, is changing the roll for a darker vlt on the back glass's. But cutting 10 back glass's would take 3-4 minutes. I am not gullible for buying it. I used to think the same way you think now. I got lucky and bought a great system. Like you said, I dont care if someone has a distaste for plotters...it has worked for me. :krazy

whatever makes anyone happy is all cool. different strokes for different folks :krazy

No sh!t...

I never get the "if I did 10 of the same car it would be justified" response...

You could double cut patterns all day long since its the same car, it is when it is a variety that you get more out of it since every pattern is different and you can't double/triple cut.

If you do 10 cars a day for an average price a machine is good. If you can get top dollars and only do 3-4 its better to hand cut. You get tighter edges hand cutting and less dirt sucking up on some edges because template too big. . people dont get cutting machines for better quality work they get it to pump out more cars cheaper .

Guest scottydosnntkno
If you do 10 cars a day for an average price a machine is good. If you can get top dollars and only do 3-4 its better to hand cut. You get tighter edges hand cutting and less dirt sucking up on some edges because template too big. . people dont get cutting machines for better quality work they get it to pump out more cars cheaper .

:spit

I do maybe 4 cars a day when I'm busy, but have higher quality so I like handcutting

I have tinted full time for 22-23 years and recently started working at one of our other locations that has a plotter. I ran a vinyl sign machine and my own shop for about 8 years, so I know the machine and software. Problem is that 80% of the roll up cuts don't fit. And any rear glass that has a pop out cutout or defroster cutout doesn't line up.

I can ALWAYS cut it faster and just as nice by hand. Only way I justify using it is if I get a run of 10 City vehicles and can change the cuts to fit right and run them all at once. I feel that it is made for beginner tinters that can't freehand cut worth a crap, but then it is still more work for them I feel.

Otherwise, the plotter needs to go to the curb!!

Guest vincetints

I was going to start a thread on this subject but decided to just post it here.

After around 25 years I finally had my first experience with a plotter. I have no idea what the software is. I only installed the film. I haven't learned the machine yet.

On the first car I did the back window. The brake light cutout did not line up at all. It was off by about an inch.

The next two cars I did the windshield and some side windows. I still had to cut out the windshields myself. The rolldowns fit pretty good. One was cut a little too wide for my liking as the gaskets were pretty tight on the sides.

The next car, I think it was an Acura TL, had to be cut by hand because the pattern was not available.

I did another windshield on a Lexus SUV. The other guy had to hand cut the two rolldowns because the plotter would not cut Huper ceramic.

The last car we did was a Vibe. I wanted to see how it did on the back window but I got tired of waiting for the film to be cut so I started throwing on the sides. The other guy had some trouble fitting it, but it came out good. The sides were no problem.

I'd say the plotter didn't really save me any time on back windows. It did save me some work on the sides. It slowed me down a little on the sides just because I'm used to doing it my way. When I cut I know how it's going to fit, plus I don't have to think about which piece goes on what window. By the end of the day I was getting used to it.

I agree that it's good for beginners. I also think it saves a little work for us experienced guys. I don't think it's any quicker though.

Archived