Plotter blows!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest scottydosnntkno
Thanks for the replies from people that ACTUALLY USE A PLOTTER...But thank you once again for your asinine assumptions Scotty. As Blade pointed out, it isn't user error. The machine is set up at different speeds and cuts for different films. They use several different brands and lines and have figured out what is best for each. The problem is that one of the films structure is cross woven. The blade doesn't cut it very well. It works just fine on all other films.

Blade your point about windows not being the same was my whole argument about plotters years ago. Especially on frameless windows. If I double cut them, the other one is usually a little off. Not to mention aftermarket glass. They're always off. And to have to raise the film and shave it then bring it back down for a micro edge is just defeating the whole purpose. Unless you are shaving every window. I am keeping an open mind and hope I get better results but I gotta say, right now, it sucks

Well I do have SOME experience as I stated that one of my shops uses a plotter and I don't like their cuts. Seems to be the same issue your having is it not :beer

I'd like to try another program but it is not my machine. They like the results so I am sure it will stay that way. I think it is called Digitint?? Anyway, I agree that it would be a nice piece of equipment to have for when you know a certain car is coming in, maybe even for dealer work. I do alot of dealer work and it really didn;t help me in the past even though I was doing the same car over and over. It would be nice, if there weren't all these problems. Not to mention the cost on top of it. For something you can do for free with about 7 minutes of cutting. Sorry, I'll stick with my trusty hand and olfa, unless I get to see one of the programs you guys have and love.

Guest scottydosnntkno
I'd like to try another program but it is not my machine. They like the results so I am sure it will stay that way. I think it is called Digitint?? Anyway, I agree that it would be a nice piece of equipment to have for when you know a certain car is coming in, maybe even for dealer work. I do alot of dealer work and it really didn;t help me in the past even though I was doing the same car over and over. It would be nice, if there weren't all these problems. Not to mention the cost on top of it. For something you can do for free with about 7 minutes of cutting. Sorry, I'll stick with my trusty hand and olfa, unless I get to see one of the programs you guys have and love.

:twocents I don't do nearly enough business to justify $3k+ on something I can do for free.

:twocents I don't do nearly enough business to justify $3k+ on something I can do for free.

Well, if you had a dealership account, or multiple accounts, it would be worth the money. A plotter does save you time, period. I used to think the same way the "hand cutters" think about plotters until I started using one. If you can find a good program, with reliable patterns, it will make installs so much easier and faster. I think anyone on this site who uses a plotter would agree. In nc's case, he has yet to use a program that works well, and I understand that. There are good programs out there that make a plotter useful.

Guest scottydosnntkno

Well, if you had a dealership account, or multiple accounts, it would be worth the money. A plotter does save you time, period. I used to think the same way the "hand cutters" think about plotters until I started using one. If you can find a good program, with reliable patterns, it will make installs so much easier and faster. I think anyone on this site who uses a plotter would agree. In nc's case, he has yet to use a program that works well, and I understand that. There are good programs out there that make a plotter useful.

I have 3 dealer accounts and still a plotter isn't useful. I'm not that pressed for time since I'm only a part timer so I don't have a full schedule every day. I understand for some their necessary, but just like peel boards I don't have a need and don't like them.

Why refuse to even try and use the plotter, being trained on how to use it will add to your toolbelt.

Anyhow, in regards to patterns... I've seen shops using both Computer Cut and Precision Cut and I have seen so so edges from both programs and that should be expected. That is why many shops will cut the pattern and then lay it on the outside of the rollup and hand cut the top edge since that is the one that seems to have most variance and the most noticable. It really depends on the shop, some places are fine with gaps at the top, if you are the shaved edge kinda guy you aren't going to like what a plotter offers for top edges.

I have seen people drive a long way for a computer cut installation, it is not only a way to be more efficient it is a sales tool you can use to your advantage against competitors. People like the idea behind no cutting on the car. At least 1/3 of its value is in this alone, always ignored on here since as installers we have seen consistent work from the old way but for consumers this just sounds appealing. :twocents

Oh its also nice to be able to track patterns cut, you can keep your employees in check when it comes to sidework or freebies.

I have 3 dealer accounts and still a plotter isn't useful. I'm not that pressed for time since I'm only a part timer so I don't have a full schedule every day. I understand for some their necessary, but just like peel boards I don't have a need and don't like them.

Then they arent giving you enough work. And your mobile. I wouldnt want to haul around a plotter unless I had a van. If you were doing every car on the lot, a plotter is useful...but what do you know anyway.

Again, you are mobile...you dont know how useful peel boards are. Peeling off the car is just asking for contamination. I did it that way for years.

Guest Sarah

we use one here and it works perectly....cuts all the time are precise....and the top of doors line up perfectly.....I dont know how much it is a month thou....all I can say is maybe working with one of the guys that is close to you that the plotter works...and is willing to show you all the tricks....jeff is teaching me the plotter and how to use it....I find it is so simple..better than cutting the tint on the window...every now and then we get a screwed up one and have to recut it but that doesnt happen very often and then its the person who sent in the measurements not the plotter......so keep at it and hey if you get frogy ask one of the other tinters near you to hold a teaching day for ya........

Archived