need some advice from the experienced window tinters/shop owners

So business is really slow and we are worried about it. We are advertising, running specials, have banners up, yard signs, etc. We are really good at what we do, we have grown a lot in the past couple of years, but last summer we slowed and we have never really gotten super busy since.

We work with/for a company that does truck accessories, they are about 25 miles away from where we are. Business for them has slowed to, but they have a good name in the area and do quite a bit of work still, lots of retail walk ins. They have a front office/shop area that they aren't using anymore, they have two locations, and we are thinking of renting that area out. What are some of the questions we should ask? How much should we pay to be attached to their building? Any ideas on problems that might arise? Advice?

We have worked for and with them for years. They send custys to us and we do the same. If they weren't a good company we wouldn't think of it. Also, their shop is large and in a good area. Nothing is set in stone with the building, but I just wanted some input from you guys. Also the area itself is way better than where we are.

Oh, and our customers are loyal. They would follow us wherever we go.

Guest thatsnappyguy

I would go to them and talk to the head guy in charge. ask if he would be willing to let you pay some of his lease/rent while adding on to the business to where over all there are more ppl walking into "his" place. its win win for everyone.

Guest StreetsAheadWindowTinting

I would be asking how long the Accessories Shop has the lease for and also if they have the right of renewal, nothing worse than getting in there for a year and have the lease expire for the whole building and land, with your lease being a sub-lease from the shop and not the landlord... :cool

So business is really slow and we are worried about it. We are advertising, running specials, have banners up, yard signs, etc. We are really good at what we do, we have grown a lot in the past couple of years, but last summer we slowed and we have never really gotten super busy since.

We work with/for a company that does truck accessories, they are about 25 miles away from where we are. Business for them has slowed to, but they have a good name in the area and do quite a bit of work still, lots of retail walk ins. They have a front office/shop area that they aren't using anymore, they have two locations, and we are thinking of renting that area out. What are some of the questions we should ask? How much should we pay to be attached to their building? Any ideas on problems that might arise? Advice?

We have worked for and with them for years. They send custys to us and we do the same. If they weren't a good company we wouldn't think of it. Also, their shop is large and in a good area. Nothing is set in stone with the building, but I just wanted some input from you guys. Also the area itself is way better than where we are.

Oh, and our customers are loyal. They would follow us wherever we go.

I think it is important for you to make it through this big bump in the economy. If your shop is just not bringing in enough even after cutting your expenses to the bone (then cutting more) try it with them! Several years ago when I moved to Oregon I paid a detail shop 30% for all the work they provided me and then a few hundred a month rent to do work I generated. In hind sight I probably paid too much but I made it getting started which was the important part. The downside is the detail shop was what the customer (mine) remembered but like I said above it worked! From knowing you guys even just on the net I can tell you have the drive---- you just need the work! IMO the most important part of having the business is “having a plan and following it”. What some people forget is you must have the “ability to change the plan as needed”. This is where some people fail because they narrow their field of vision. I sincerely wish I had better answers but anywho these are my thoughts……..

Hang in there guys you are both good people

Stan

da Snappy guy and streets ahead have great points as usual :cool

I once had a shop that I split with a truck guy. We did everything 12volt, detailing, tinting, and he did the truck mods and accessory sales. I worked my balls off and didnt really make much more after the overhead. Less is more. I only offer four shades of tint and remote starters. No shop, just a commission everywhere I go. I service several dealerships, shops, and so fourth. Always dropping cards everywhere I go.

If it ever falls off, I go and meet as many people as I can in between. Ads never worked for me enough to justify the money. Keep pushing your business in person and work in a bigger area. I travel 100 miles a day. Only way to survive. Eliminate as many things that you can and reach further than you used to and youll find more work.

I know a guy who did that with a truck accrs. store. the store decided to do bedliner painting and wanted the space and gave the tinter the boot. Who knows when it gets busy he wont want the space for himself . Or you might build up a clientele and when the economy picks up he gives you the boot and hires a comision tinter , Just a few things to think of.

I know a guy who did that with a truck accrs. store. the store decided to do bedliner painting and wanted the space and gave the tinter the boot. Who knows when it gets busy he wont want the space for himself . Or you might build up a clientele and when the economy picks up he gives you the boot and hires a comision tinter , Just a few things to think of.

Those would be my worries as welll if I were in a similar situation

Guest vincetints

You are getting good advice.

Make sure he has a long standing lease. Make sure you get a long standing lease with him. You might consider a "no compete clause" for both of you. Price should be no higher than the percentage of square foot, then talk him down from there. Remind him you will be bringing in traffic.

If it is cheaper and in a better area, go for it.

LTL, I can answer for GG that they did not move when they wanted to last year....still in the same old location. Unless I am mistaken.

There are all good points on here. I would say some sort of legal business agreement would be in order. I know that the extra business flow and better location would benefit you for sure.

Archived