4 mil armorcoat installed correctly?

Guest icrnk

Was the Huper already on the windows or did he install both?

I got the contact to the installer via a request from Huper's website. I was originally interested in Huper film but this guy pushed the armorcoat based on my request for security. I guess also probably since Huper may not have a 4 mil security and start at 7 or 8 mil.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Were there any discussions related to a wet glaze and price for that versus without?

Just trying to make sense why if you wanted it they didn't want to offer it, unless it was related to an issue with price etc...

No there were not any discussions related to wet glaze but he never said anything about install options either. He's the pro so I feel he should give me the different options. Price wasn't an issue. I just don't see how effective this will be for the security aspect as currently installed and I feel I would have done better to just get a regular tint, non-security film, with greater overall total solar energy rejected. Not only that but then it would quality for the energy tax credit.

So am I correct in my assumption that the security aspect of the film is greatly reduced as installed being as all it will probably do is keep the glass together and just be pushed in by an attempted break-in or a flying object during a hurricane?

Guest Sunlimited

If you requested film for any type of hurricane "protection", the installer should have suggested an 8 mil window film, with an attachment system. Any security film for "security" purpose should have an attachment system. If someone were to break the window without the attachment, yes you can easily pry right through the film. As was posted before, call the installer, and request attachment, if they know how...

If you requested film for any type of hurricane "protection", the installer should have suggested an 8 mil window film, with an attachment system. Any security film for "security" purpose should have an attachment system. If someone were to break the window without the attachment, yes you can easily pry right through the film. As was posted before, call the installer, and request attachment, if they know how...

:dunno

Was the Huper already on the windows or did he install both?

I got the contact to the installer via a request from Huper's website. I was originally interested in Huper film but this guy pushed the armorcoat based on my request for security. I guess also probably since Huper may not have a 4 mil security and start at 7 or 8 mil.

Ok I see, I read it wrong. I thought he may have installed the security film over another film. As mentioned before, you are correct about the attachment system.

Guest fredstinting

you people need to read window film magazine cause there is nothing in the window tint industry they is hurricane they state even in florida you will get sued by the states attorny off for even selling film that you say is for hurricane .

its a felony cause everything in florida must pass the dade county code to be hurricane product. they say window film doesn't big artical in the window film magazine like 2 or 3 pages find it in one of this years issue between jan to july I can't remeber which one .

Okay, thanks. I know if any burglar wants to get in bad enough, they can. I got the security film knowing it's more of a deterrent. Will 4 mil also provide some protection from hurricane winds or is 8 mil the minimum for that? I really did want the hurricane protection but I guess I'll be okay with the 4 mil providing a little more protection than I had without it. I'm probably over 70 miles away from Galveston, TX as I'm right outside the Houston city limits in Cypress, TX. I'm just a little irritated that it was falsely conveyed to me that 8 mil was not possible on my home. I had some other installer that told me the same thing. That installer only carried Madico film (not Sunscape so may only entry level film) and said it was due to the frames my windows had. I mentioned this to the guy that did the install and he said sure you can install it on you windows and that the other guy was wrong. How much more an average would the 8 mil have cost than a 4 mil? I think the total square footage of glass done in my home was about 230 and I paid just under $1000 total. I met with a total of 5 different tint companies that carried different brands (3M, Panorama, Madico, Madico Sunscape & Ceramic, and finally the Huper/Armorcoat guy that did my home). I'm confused why most these guys kept pushing products that didn't meeting my security/hurricane requests. The only other guy that did gave me a quote on both regular 3M night Vision 25 and their 400 security line. I just didn't really like the 3M film and I didn't they rep didn't give me specific information on the security film other than just giving me an installed price.

I've contacted the installer and left a message with the receptionist.

I also wanted to say thanks to to all the help on this board.

you people need to read window film magazine cause there is nothing in the window tint industry they is hurricane they state even in florida you will get sued by the states attorny off for even selling film that you say is for hurricane .

its a felony cause everything in florida must pass the dade county code to be hurricane product. they say window film doesn't big artical in the window film magazine like 2 or 3 pages find it in one of this years issue between jan to july I can't remeber which one .

I'm not in the tint industry so I don't know about that magazine. I don't expect any film to make my home hurricane proof just like I don't expect it to make it burglary proof. I just want to increase the safety for my family and home. I think if tint reps emphasize that it is not hurricane proof but does provide some protection, then there is no reason to get sued for mis-informing a homeowner. I would imagine the magazine article is bringing to light that the tint reps need to understand that the film cannot be sold as making a home hurricane proof.

Guest pmuzik

I doubt the price you paid will last long but you got a pretty good deal for 230 sf of S/S film regardless of which brand. :thumb I won't do standard film for that price :dunno

I doubt the price you paid will last long but you got a pretty good deal for 230 sf of S/S film regardless of which brand. :dunno I won't do standard film for that price :thumb

Yeah, no complaints on price. He beat all others on 2 mil window film.

Archived