01 Expidition

tint bandit

Guest tintgod
OT and protint are right. what the hell is up? just out of curiosity, what is your main purpose for pulling the panles on something like a 04 ford 3/4 ton or 1 ton? something that OBVIOUSLY doesn't need the panels pulled because the gasket isn't anywhere near the top.

maybe because when you do pull the seal..the tint is below the seal..and you dont have to worrie about the tint peeling up if it catches on it :drunk

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's up with all the door panel removal talk lately? :drunk  :beer

Pro,

The ways that films are applied worldwide vary just as much as there are products on the market and it depends on where your own industry level is at currently.

Downunder, and I'm sure Captain tinter will verify what I say here, door panel removal is demanded by tint shops or else you become unprofessional by not offering it.

It's the next step up in raising the bar and can be likened to one-piece rears as against seaming of many years back.

There is no doubt that removal provides the ultimate in fit and if a customer gets a sniff that you don't do it and your competitors do, you won't get the job. They (your foes) will have your work practices on toast.

Same thing is happening to those that promote 1 hour tinting. A customer wants a job done for the same money where time is not the critical factor and will prefer an install where people take their time and eye for detail is paramount.

Devil

Well, its not quite so cut and dry in my neck of the woods, people would far rather you not rip their car apart, if there is a way to get a good quality job without pulling panels, most car owners, myself included, would rather a panel not get yanked. Most consumers have learned that shops will usually not own up to their mistakes, and would rather not have us tearing their car apart. I very very very rarely have problems with windows peeling, long or short term with the exception of people rolling their windows down in the first hour or so. Therefore, I for one don't see the value in pulling a car apart, I don't think my work looks any different than those of you pulling them. To each his own for sure on this one, but to equate pulling panels with a one piece back window? I'm lost here, the difference between a seamed multi pieced rear glass and a one piecer is huge. The difference between a pulled panel and an un pulled panel done by a pro? Is there a notiecable difference? I doubt it, if its done by someone who knows the trade.

As far as customers getting in a sniff cause we don't pull panels, its the opposite here, I have people specifically asking if I pull apart their car, and if I was to say yes, they'd go elsewhere. The other thing is, people here love the opportunity to stick you with something that was wrong with their car, such as the power window motor going out 3 weeks after the windows were tinted. If I was to have taken it apart, and they come back and ask me if I had it apart, I say yes, as far as they are concerned, its my fault, I broke the defective part, and if I pay or not, I will still get bad publicity from that person. Better to not even be in the place to get blamed for it in the first place, but that's my humble opinion. Its definately different in Down under!

I get a kick out of the time thing....it used to take alot of us a good half a day or longer to tint a car, those of us that learned heat shrinking and better techniques were able to turn out higher quality work in less time. But most people even then thought that if it took all flipping day, it must be really good, and didn't understand quality work was about technique, not time.

Tintboy,

If a tinter didn't have the ability to get a door trim off first (when tinting here downunder) without wrecking it or breaking it, then he/she shouldn't be window tinting in the first place.

If that was a reason served up to one of our customers not to have it done, then it would be a sign seen of no confidence and they would walk to one that does.

Different horses for different courses.

We also sell on the basis that windows can be operated immediately without the film having to cure. :spit

Devil

how soon after the car is finished are the panels re-installed?? if it's immediately following I would imagine on tighter panels like the cougar, or avenger etc. that it would still be too tight for the film to be rolled down that soon, just my .02 but what works for one may not work for another, who cares as long as the cust. is happy. :lol if devil and those under there :lol have to pull panels due to their market then so be it. we haven't been faced with the need to pull panels (from the market) soem of us do 'cuz it's how we were trained and others don't for the same reason, however I would have to agree with tintboy on the broken parts thing. we get blamed for stuff like nobody's business. and I for one don't want the opportunity to get blamed for anything. if I can get the job done neatly, and in a timely fashion without the opportunity for replacement parts :lol then we're all happy. to each his/her own :spit

Guest Sprinter

pulling panels here went out in the early ninties I personally don't know any tinter or tintshop here who pulls panels anymore! if you have to do it there to get the job then so be it, but here all we need to do is awnser the phone and give them a price. as with tintboy if we pulled the car apart we'd get blamed for everything thats already broken on the car!

one piece does'nt come up tinting to the edge does'nt come up just the price! they get top quaility workmanship and more bang for their bucks!

if you tint cleanly theres no reason to pull the panels, if your a slob and can't tint cleanly better find another job! even if you pull the panels your still a slob, tinter!

Guest Sprinter

it would be interesting to see who has been trained in the last 2 years and see if they were trained to tuck/slide or pull panels, that would give a clue to how the new tinters are doing it!

just as most don't know how to wet shrink, or do multi piece seams!

Guest autoreflections

I pull all panels and I'll tell you why... That's the way I was taught never saw it done any other way... Im assuming with a gasket puller it would help. I wish I'd never have to take one of those cocksuckers apart again...It's a pain in the azz shizznit if you ask me but that's how I learned....

Archived