01 Expidition

tint bandit

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest autoreflections

sure would be nice to learn alternative ways though. Maybe I'll stroll down the road at apple auto glass and see if the boys will show me... :beer

pulling panels here went out in the early ninties I personally don't know any tinter or tintshop here who pulls panels anymore! if you have to do it there to get the job then so be it, but here all we need to do is awnser the phone and give them a price. as with tintboy if we pulled the car apart we'd get blamed for everything thats already broken on the car!

one piece does'nt come up tinting to the edge does'nt come up just the price! they get top quaility workmanship and more bang for their bucks!

if you tint cleanly theres no reason to pull the panels, if your a slob and can't tint cleanly better find another job! even if you pull the panels your still a slob, tinter!

There is probably no hard and fast rule when to put back door trims as far as time is concerned.

Captain leaves it for 10 minutes, I might leave it for 90-120 mins.

My reason for leaving it longer is that fingers can pop up from the bottom occasionally and if the trim is put back on too early, then you can't get access to the bottom unless it is off again.

Trims can often be left just hanging there without being totally pulled off and lots only have 2 or 3 screws holding them on and result in a minute and a half to remove.

We find that trim removal makes for fantastic ease of installation and in some cases can provide a gap big enough to drive a truck down through.

Also not have the horizontal felt wet reduces the chance of moisture fingers occuring.

Tucking and bending over the factory rubbers can split old sun damaged ones and if they are new, chances of hooking a film edge is more than possible. Look at the new Subarus for one with their double felts especially in the tight corner near the external rear view mirror corner.

Devil

people would far rather you not rip their car apart, if there is a way to get a good quality job without pulling panels, most car owners, myself included, would rather a panel not get yanked. 

As far as customers getting in a sniff cause we don't pull panels, its the opposite here, I have people specifically asking if I pull apart their car, and if I was to say yes, they'd go elsewhere.

Thats where I stand if you can do a perfect install without removing panels thats how im doing it. most every time I do remove the door panels I hear a "What are you doing?" from the cust

Dont care who is doing the work those clip dont ever hold as good as they were installed at the factory some break some wear out and the little plastic screw covers get scratched up from taking them off

Guest Sprinter

just today I get a call from a guy who took the insurance money and did'nt call me to tell me of this been chasing it since december. he says his lock does'nt line up in the door panel and that if I had'nt taken the door panel off this would'nt of happend!

I politly told him that I don't remove panels to tint so it had to be the glass guys who did'nt put the panel on correctly! he's sending my check and going to call the glass guys to get his car fixed!

if this thread did'nt come up neither would of his remarks, ironic!

Guest tintslut

would hazard a guess... Far more tint done in phoenix, Florida, and texas.

99% dont remove panels. If your worried about a peeling problem, get a better film.

The reason I was wanting to pull these is the top of the door panel near the mirror is a good 5 inches higher than the rear and tight to get into and being still a newby I felt I could do a better job that way,needless to say couldnt get them off and pulled felt back and slide tint behind.You fellows that make such a big deal of some things that are asked need to read and go about your business if not in the mood for a helpful answer,somebody may be in better mood and helpful,thats my feeling on this, now as far as getting your post count up :thumb Thanks all

Archived