Window Film Industry

you cant be serious on buying a tint shop without knowing how to really tint. that has to suck in case of a boycott :cold

Its more important to be good at business than installing film, plenty of good installers ready to work. I'd rather have both, but that's the honest truth :cold

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heres food for thought.....I personally know four window tinters, each with over 15 years of experience......all unemployed. I'm one of them. Laid off, because of a slow economy.Lucky for Me I listened to Momma and put some money away, each and every year. I can go sit on the beach for four months and wait 'till the hot weather hits, and then the phone will be ringing. Do You have that kind of capital, at age 21, to ride out the tough times? :cold

I do have supplamental income. Do you own a shop?

:hmmm

Yeah Booms..... Do you ??? :lol2

:cold

Guest Sunlimited
you cant be serious on buying a tint shop without knowing how to really tint. that has to suck in case of a boycott :cold

Its more important to be good at business than installing film, plenty of good installers ready to work. I'd rather have both, but that's the honest truth :cold

Again that depends on location. My buddy has been trying to find an installer for quite a while with no luck. He's a one man show, has to turn away jobs because there is no one to either help him, or work independantly..Worst case scenario, you can dump alot of $$ into buying a business, the curent installer(s) walk, and there is a lack of qualified help....Then what?

you cant be serious on buying a tint shop without knowing how to really tint. that has to suck in case of a boycott :lol

Its more important to be good at business than installing film, plenty of good installers ready to work. I'd rather have both, but that's the honest truth :dunno

Again that depends on location. My buddy has been trying to find an installer for quite a while with no luck. He's a one man show, has to turn away jobs because there is no one to either help him, or work independantly..Worst case scenario, you can dump alot of $$ into buying a business, the curent installer(s) walk, and there is a lack of qualified help....Then what?

that is a realistic risk of most any business venture, in what way is it unique to film?

Guest Fly Paper
Thank you to everyone for the replies!

As stated, I am well aware of how to analyze and value a business (income statements, balance sheets, non-competes, etc.). I also have advisors in place that have more experience than I do. I assure you that I am not in the beginning stages of this process, actually quite the opposite.

This is why I had asked about the industry and not about about buying a business.

I did not realize that my age would be visibleto everyone and am sure that you all will have a hard time taking me seriously because of it (I cannot blame you). Despite my age, I have other things that are conducive to my purchasing of a business and window film seems like a great way to go. Again I was just curious on the industry condition and outlook from the prospective of experts inside the industry.

I really appreciate all of the input!!

Age has nothing to do with it. My step son ( I can't take credit for his intelligence, there not my genes but I love him) just sold a warranty business well into the six figures he started with a silent partner and just opened a debt consolidation service and also has a used car lot and he is 21. That kid was smarter than any teacher in school. I have been in the film business for 30 years and moved towards graphics because too many low ballers have ruined this industry. Also the manufacturers and distributors sell directly against all of us so there's a "big turd in the pool"

We provide health insurance, paid vacation, holidays, etc. but trunk monkeys don't have any overhead so how low can you go? Most film manufacturers sales are off 50% right now so they behave like prostitutes. I think the debt consolidation idea is a better business plan but what the F do I know?

When leasing and construction both commercial and residential rise we may be able to make a living again but I'm not holding my breath.....

I would not recommend buying a company with no knowledge of the industry. Failure would be knocking on your door. It would be like me buying a printing company...I have no clue of the inner workings, margins, supplies, etc.

Well aren't all of those things easily learned? Isnt the sales, marketing and operations aspect of it more important? (not an argument, just questions)

Its hard if you dont know about installing . Window tinters are not very reliable or loyal. they will leave you for $10 more a week and a promise of free beer.

Archived