Window Film Industry

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a window film business in my area. It is a business that does mainly commercial flat glass. They also do some residential. I am curious what condition the industry is in currently? What are the trends that you all are seeing? Is there any one product that is way out in front of the others? What are some major problems unique to window film? How has the poor economy affected window film? Or anything else that you may think I should know.

I really need a guage of this industry, and figured that you all would be the best place to get that. Thank you so much for any information that you can provide to me!!!

Tim

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alot will depend on what area of the country you are in....

Generally speaking, window film is a luxury item for residential, so with the economy being what it is, people aren't getting it done as much.

If you are in an area that has a cold winter, business might slow down during the off-season.... in which case you either have to be super busy in the spring/summer, or offer other products and/or services to hold you over during the winter time.

If you want to gauge how business is with commercial window tinting... take a good hard look at construction/sales/leasing of buildings in your area...

Whats the industry forcast for construction trades over the next 5 years ??

Past that.... it's do your homework on the business you are looking at.. :twocents

Guest Tint Chick
If you want to gauge how business is with commercial window tinting... take a good hard look at construction/sales/leasing of buildings in your area...

Past that.... it's do your homework on the business you are looking at.. :lol2

Good advice there :lol2

I would not recommend buying a company with no knowledge of the industry. Failure would be knocking on your door. It would be like me buying a printing company...I have no clue of the inner workings, margins, supplies, etc.

Well aren't all of those things easily learned? Isnt the sales, marketing and operations aspect of it more important? (not an argument, just questions)

what do you mean by construction trades?

I am abosulutely doing my homework on the business, I am just curious on what advice the experts could offerl up

what do you mean by construction trades?

I am abosulutely doing my homework on the business, I am just curious on what advice the experts could offerl up

Unless you are independantly wealthy, you will either be financed by the owners or have to go to bank. The first thing you need is a p&l statement. This can be your gauge to this business in particular. Then you may want to get the same for the past 3 years to see what direction the business is heading. If it's like most in this this industry and others, it has considerably less cash flow.

The sales/installation learning part is tough. You are totally reliant upon installers and sales people. So if you can't keep it together you may have to do their jobs. The business end is tough too. Accounts payable/receivables/inventory/ payroll/taxes...... At your age you don't know if you can hack it or not even if things were good. :lol

Today's economic environment is the toughest in modern history. I'm sure you've heard the news :lol2 .

Most of the time the only people who buy tint shops are those from outside of the industry, the reason being that most people from within the industry would just create a new shop. Why? because the person running the business is its most valuable asset and when they leave after the sale there is little value left in the business other than contacts and accounts... many of which arent going to be around without that key person there anymore.

We don't really discuss prices here but I've seen fairly large operations in socal for sale for 50k with not a single bite right now.

Archived