Tiny air bubbles all over my window after tint job

Guest Fman

There were problems with the tint when he left my house, it was agreed I would remove the tint to save him some time. Seeing as he called today and said his car is now broke, he offered to just refund me my money. I am at the point of probably just getting my money back and be done with the tint. Its a very difficult window and requires a highly skilled tinter with a lot of patience. Now the question will be if he actually refunds me my money, seems like an honest guy that has had some bad luck with his car lately. Guess time will tell....

can you show us some pictures of the boat? most boats I have ever done LOOK hard, but in reality they aren't half bad after you've done a couple.

He has done many boats before, I asked for pictures before he started. I think there was too much dust in the air and that is what caused the air bubbles. He did them in my garage, I had my wifes Altima done last year in my garage with no problems. It is what it is, I am hoping he has some integrity and comes through and at least refunds me my money. Guess I am old school, if the job was not done correctly then someone should not be charged. I really dont want to end up in small claims court, but I will if need be.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There were problems with the tint when he left my house, it was agreed I would remove the tint to save him some time. Seeing as he called today and said his car is now broke, he offered to just refund me my money. I am at the point of probably just getting my money back and be done with the tint. Its a very difficult window and requires a highly skilled tinter with a lot of patience. Now the question will be if he actually refunds me my money, seems like an honest guy that has had some bad luck with his car lately. Guess time will tell....

can you show us some pictures of the boat? most boats I have ever done LOOK hard, but in reality they aren't half bad after you've done a couple.

He has done many boats before, I asked for pictures before he started. I think there was too much dust in the air and that is what caused the air bubbles. He did them in my garage, I had my wifes Altima done last year in my garage with no problems. It is what it is, I am hoping he has some integrity and comes through and at least refunds me my money. Guess I am old school, if the job was not done correctly then someone should not be charged. I really dont want to end up in small claims court, but I will if need be.

Sounds like it was done correctly and for whatever reason there was contamination. With the installer seemingly not into redoing it he probably thinks he can't make you happy. I've heard your side, would love to hear his...... Small claims huh?

I can see you get a lot of kicks out of someone possibly getting screwed over......

No, Not really. Thats why My tint jobs come without the 100's of Air Bubbles. I wouldn't have installed Your film in a "dusty" area to begin with. Unfortunately the average consumer doesn't research here on TintDude until AFTER they have a problem. Hopefully, Your boy will at least refund Your money. I wish You luck. :beach

Oh, and BTW....that's usually how these threads go....the Customer states his problem/concern....the Tinters respond.....and then it degenerates from there..... :beach

Read a few more threads....everyone gets bagged on....

also...you say the boat WINDOWS are only a year old. did you have them replaced in existing older frames and gaskets? I'd like to know what kind of boat it is. :thumb

'08 Supra 22V, windows are in perfect condition.

Guest tintguy31707

Tinting boat windows suck... why did you not take it to a shop that could house your boat?... we can house 2 semi trailers and still have room for 8-12 cars...

Tinting boats are out of a window tinters "norm". If he can actually Tint it then I would say let him redo it and make it right, I'm sure he and you will be happy with that outcome.

... having said that I would have never tinted that at your house and I would have never let you leave my shop with crappy window tint.

Tinting boat windows suck... why did you not take it to a shop that could house your boat?... we can house 2 semi trailers and still have room for 8-12 cars...

Tinting boats are out of a window tinters "norm". If he can actually Tint it then I would say let him redo it and make it right, I'm sure he and you will be happy with that outcome.

... having said that I would have never tinted that at your house and I would have never let you leave my shop with crappy window tint.

I have removed the windows out of the boat..... "Live and Learn...." not much I can do about it now. I will take the hit and move on, unless for some reason he calls me back. I have not heard from him in a couple days, even had a friend call him and he is not answering his phone.... hopefully nothing happened to him. I have found a shop that specializes in boats and guarantees there work, they have a special room with no dust/contaminents... I will probably end up taking it to them.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback from everyone... although at times, a little bit of a tough crowd.

Guest scottydosnntkno

I have removed the windows out of the boat..... "Live and Learn...." not much I can do about it now. I will take the hit and move on, unless for some reason he calls me back. I have not heard from him in a couple days, even had a friend call him and he is not answering his phone.... hopefully nothing happened to him. I have found a shop that specializes in boats and guarantees there work, they have a special room with no dust/contaminents... I will probably end up taking it to them.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback from everyone... although at times, a little bit of a tough crowd.

I think the 'dust in the air" is a lame excuse for a tinter. If you have a proper technique, it won't make that much of a difference. I've installed in several shops and garages where there was noticeable dust in the air when looking into the sunlight, and the installs still came out just fine. Its all about your technique and how you handle the film.

I tint 80% of my cars/boats/rvs at oher peoples garages/shops, and have top quality work everytime, with no dust issues. "the air is dusty" seems to be a common excuse from some less experienced tinters, but I personally wouldnt' take it as an excuse.

and as far as small claims court, good luck. He provided a service, and there is no definition of what constitutes a good tint job. Unless you have something in writing that says you were guaranteed a 100% perfect tint job, you have nothing to go on. you paid him to install the film on your boat, he did, and you paid him. Window film is not designed to look good, its designed to perform. As long as it is on the window, it is doing its job in protecting, it just happens to look good in the process. Plus, you now have no solid evidence of the "bad job" other than your word, which would not stand up in a court either. You need solid, undeniable proof. Again, there is no definition of what constitutes a good vs. a bad job. Is 40 specs on a boat okay, but 43 is not? Where do you draw the line?

I think the 'dust in the air" is a lame excuse for a tinter. If you have a proper technique, it won't make that much of a difference. I've installed in several shops and garages where there was noticeable dust in the air when looking into the sunlight, and the installs still came out just fine. Its all about your technique and how you handle the film.

I tint 80% of my cars/boats/rvs at oher peoples garages/shops, and have top quality work everytime, with no dust issues. "the air is dusty" seems to be a common excuse from some less experienced tinters, but I personally wouldnt' take it as an excuse.

and as far as small claims court, good luck. He provided a service, and there is no definition of what constitutes a good tint job. Unless you have something in writing that says you were guaranteed a 100% perfect tint job, you have nothing to go on. you paid him to install the film on your boat, he did, and you paid him. Window film is not designed to look good, its designed to perform. As long as it is on the window, it is doing its job in protecting, it just happens to look good in the process. Plus, you now have no solid evidence of the "bad job" other than your word, which would not stand up in a court either. You need solid, undeniable proof. Again, there is no definition of what constitutes a good vs. a bad job. Is 40 specs on a boat okay, but 43 is not? Where do you draw the line?

I do have a written reciept with a lifetime guarantee in writing, going to small claims to recover the money is probably not worth my time. Its more the principal and someone just doing "the right thing". I am a believer in Karma, what comes around goes around. Hopefully I will have some success in the near future, if not life goes on. If you read my earlier posts, I had my wifes car done by a mobile tinter and it turned out great. However, after this mess, I will never use another mobile tinter because you have very little recourse to go back on if there is a problem. If someone has a shop you can show up and state your case, mobile tinters can be here one day gone another.

Archived