Tiny air bubbles all over my window after tint job

Guest Fman

Tinting boat windows suck... why did you not take it to a shop that could house your boat?... we can house 2 semi trailers and still have room for 8-12 cars...

Tinting boats are out of a window tinters "norm". If he can actually Tint it then I would say let him redo it and make it right, I'm sure he and you will be happy with that outcome.

... having said that I would have never tinted that at your house and I would have never let you leave my shop with crappy window tint.

I have removed the windows out of the boat..... "Live and Learn...." not much I can do about it now. I will take the hit and move on, unless for some reason he calls me back. I have not heard from him in a couple days, even had a friend call him and he is not answering his phone.... hopefully nothing happened to him. I have found a shop that specializes in boats and guarantees there work, they have a special room with no dust/contaminents... I will probably end up taking it to them.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback from everyone... although at times, a little bit of a tough crowd.

I think the 'dust in the air" is a lame excuse for a tinter. If you have a proper technique, it won't make that much of a difference. I've installed in several shops and garages where there was noticeable dust in the air when looking into the sunlight, and the installs still came out just fine. Its all about your technique and how you handle the film.

I tint 80% of my cars/boats/rvs at oher peoples garages/shops, and have top quality work everytime, with no dust issues. "the air is dusty" seems to be a common excuse from some less experienced tinters, but I personally wouldnt' take it as an excuse.

and as far as small claims court, good luck. He provided a service, and there is no definition of what constitutes a good tint job. Unless you have something in writing that says you were guaranteed a 100% perfect tint job, you have nothing to go on. you paid him to install the film on your boat, he did, and you paid him. Window film is not designed to look good, its designed to perform. As long as it is on the window, it is doing its job in protecting, it just happens to look good in the process. Plus, you now have no solid evidence of the "bad job" other than your word, which would not stand up in a court either. You need solid, undeniable proof. Again, there is no definition of what constitutes a good vs. a bad job. Is 40 specs on a boat okay, but 43 is not? Where do you draw the line?

I do have a written reciept with a lifetime guarantee in writing, going to small claims to recover the money is probably not worth my time. Its more the principal and someone just doing "the right thing". I am a believer in Karma, what comes around goes around. Hopefully I will have some success in the near future, if not life goes on. If you read my earlier posts, I had my wifes car done by a mobile tinter and it turned out great. However, after this mess, I will never use another mobile tinter because you have very little recourse to go back on if there is a problem. If someone has a shop you can show up and state your case, mobile tinters can be here one day gone another.

Great point!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest scottydosnntkno
Tinting boat windows suck... why did you not take it to a shop that could house your boat?... we can house 2 semi trailers and still have room for 8-12 cars...

Tinting boats are out of a window tinters "norm". If he can actually Tint it then I would say let him redo it and make it right, I'm sure he and you will be happy with that outcome.

... having said that I would have never tinted that at your house and I would have never let you leave my shop with crappy window tint.

I have removed the windows out of the boat..... "Live and Learn...." not much I can do about it now. I will take the hit and move on, unless for some reason he calls me back. I have not heard from him in a couple days, even had a friend call him and he is not answering his phone.... hopefully nothing happened to him. I have found a shop that specializes in boats and guarantees there work, they have a special room with no dust/contaminents... I will probably end up taking it to them.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback from everyone... although at times, a little bit of a tough crowd.

I think the 'dust in the air" is a lame excuse for a tinter. If you have a proper technique, it won't make that much of a difference. I've installed in several shops and garages where there was noticeable dust in the air when looking into the sunlight, and the installs still came out just fine. Its all about your technique and how you handle the film.

I tint 80% of my cars/boats/rvs at oher peoples garages/shops, and have top quality work everytime, with no dust issues. "the air is dusty" seems to be a common excuse from some less experienced tinters, but I personally wouldnt' take it as an excuse.

and as far as small claims court, good luck. He provided a service, and there is no definition of what constitutes a good tint job. Unless you have something in writing that says you were guaranteed a 100% perfect tint job, you have nothing to go on. you paid him to install the film on your boat, he did, and you paid him. Window film is not designed to look good, its designed to perform. As long as it is on the window, it is doing its job in protecting, it just happens to look good in the process. Plus, you now have no solid evidence of the "bad job" other than your word, which would not stand up in a court either. You need solid, undeniable proof. Again, there is no definition of what constitutes a good vs. a bad job. Is 40 specs on a boat okay, but 43 is not? Where do you draw the line?

I do have a written reciept with a lifetime guarantee in writing, going to small claims to recover the money is probably not worth my time. Its more the principal and someone just doing "the right thing". I am a believer in Karma, what comes around goes around. Hopefully I will have some success in the near future, if not life goes on. If you read my earlier posts, I had my wifes car done by a mobile tinter and it turned out great. However, after this mess, I will never use another mobile tinter because you have very little recourse to go back on if there is a problem. If someone has a shop you can show up and state your case, mobile tinters can be here one day gone another.

"lifetime" guarantee covers the film, not the install generally. I specifically tell my customers that the warranty covers the film, NOT the installation. If you scratch, cut, rip, or jack up the film in any other way, its not my problem, you caused it. The warranty covers the film itself failing, turning purple, bubbling, etc. Not, "dust" in the film. That is all due to the installation method. I'm sure that everyone in this industry, whether they admit it or not has done a few jobs where they came out less than would be normally satisfactory to them. Sometimes, theres nothing you can do about it. Think about what tint is, a giant sticky piece of plastic that is applied to a piece of glass. There are eleventy ways that dust/dirt/bugs can get stuck on them. hell, its the same way mouse traps work. Every now and then your going to get some dirt in the film, and theres nothing you can do about it.

while im a mobile tinter, so im sure my opinion now means nothing to you, even if I had a shop I would tell you to pound sand. As others on here have said who DO have a shop, now that you removed the film you completely destroyed the "evidence" so you would NOT get a redo

Guest Mobile1

"lifetime" guarantee covers the film, not the install generally. I specifically tell my customers that the warranty covers the film, NOT the installation. If you scratch, cut, rip, or jack up the film in any other way, its not my problem, you caused it. The warranty covers the film itself failing, turning purple, bubbling, etc. Not, "dust" in the film. That is all due to the installation method. I'm sure that everyone in this industry, whether they admit it or not has done a few jobs where they came out less than would be normally satisfactory to them. Sometimes, theres nothing you can do about it. Think about what tint is, a giant sticky piece of plastic that is applied to a piece of glass. There are eleventy ways that dust/dirt/bugs can get stuck on them. hell, its the same way mouse traps work. Every now and then your going to get some dirt in the film, and theres nothing you can do about it.

while im a mobile tinter, so im sure my opinion now means nothing to you, even if I had a shop I would tell you to pound sand. As others on here have said who DO have a shop, now that you removed the film you completely destroyed the "evidence" so you would NOT get a redo

Goddamn scottyboy don't you listen? He said that the guy agreed to have him remove the film for him. At least I think he did, anyway don't you have a 300z to redo somewhere rather than write these mini novels?

However, it sucks that you have lost your faith in the mobile guys fman, I would not have done this to you, no way. If it was a reasonable amount of dirt to complain about I would have fixed it or refund for sure and you never would have to leave your house.

You should have kept the last guys card that did a good job on your car. Or was this him?, I wasn't listening good enough.

Guest Tint Chick
Goddamn scottyboy don't you listen? He said that the guy agreed to have him remove the film for him. At least I think he did, anyway don't you have a 300z to redo somewhere rather than write these mini novels?

LOl, that why I asked him if he was related to Dr Phil, spewing crap all over the place and doesnt really have a clue what hes talking about :spit

Scotty doesnt warranty his install! So if he makes a mistake or a bug flys in the tint I guess its the costumers fault.Thats why he wont fix that peeling 350z window.Its the costomers fault scotty didnt bring film below the rubber.Would anyone let scotty tint thier window after hearing that statement?

:lol2:bingo

Poor scotty will get ragged on the 350z till the day he dies up here :twocents

Archived