Defroster glare solution?

Guest sunscream

Just noticed more by bimmer owners because their A|\|4L :twocents

Its a common problem with any car that has defrosters, a sloped rear window and window film installed. Stop paying attention to it and enjoy the nice car your driving :lol2 Your only supposed to glance in the rear view, if it was on the windshield then I'd agree its a problem

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sunscream
Just noticed more by bimmer owners because their A|\|4L :lol

Its a common problem with any car that has defrosters, a sloped rear window and window film installed. Stop paying attention to it and enjoy the nice car your driving :beer Your only supposed to glance in the rear view, if it was on the windshield then I'd agree its a problem

Why settle when there could be solutions? :dunno

Its a common problem with any car that has defrosters, a sloped rear window and window film installed. Stop paying attention to it and enjoy the nice car your driving :beer Your only supposed to glance in the rear view, if it was on the windshield then I'd agree its a problem

Because there aren't, well two.. remove the tint and live without tinted windows, or use a razor to remove the defrosters completely. So long as there is a rise in the defrosters for the film to go over there will be this issue, thick or thin the problem will exist.

Removing and redoing tint leaves high odds for an install not as clean as the initial. and potential for damaging the defrosters during removal. The refraction issue occurs on cars with thick or thin defrosters, trying to smooth them down with steel wool is not going to fix it. Lets put it this way, if you are being this OCD about the issue right now its still going to bother you afterwards because the change will likely not be noticeable (I personally wouldn't ever recommend that as a solution to light refraction because its not going to solve the issue). Only now you will have an install that is not as clean, and the potential for damaging the keyless entry and radio reception on your car. The honest answer is if you cannot cope with this issue then you will have to go without a tinted rear window.

Guest tint325i

get a grip of yourself, many of us on here drive bmws and they are by no way the worst cars for this problem, check out a pt cruiser their lines are like rope!! the other bmws you have seen without this problem may well be factory tinted glass and therefor not film, as has been said every sloped rear screen in any car suffers from this to a degree, when film is completely dry it should be barely noticeable, I have had many bmws and dont notice it on any of them after first week, do you really want to risk losing your defogger and am/fm signal? your other alternative is have a glass co put a tinted rear screen in it, that will cost you about £300 in uk, had to do it on an e92 once,

no wonder bmw owners get such a bad rep!! just as well most of the a##hats are driving audis these days (I can say that cause im bmw daft)

I see its a 2010 model, did you buy it brand new? why not just order one with factory privacy glass? would have saved you the problem

Had this issue with a newer Passat. The install was so perfect that the client had to find somthing to bit8h about...so he brought up the rise on the defroster line thing.We white pad the piss out of these lines and still spent 1/4 hour explaining this nonsence. This is why installers must charge more for euro cars. They need more custy/service....BTW the thick film does not help.

Guest tint325i

my 5 series is done in johnson greystone which is one of the thickest films on the market and its hardly noticeable on that, even at night with headlights behind you which is usually when it is most prominent, you have to remember you look thru windows not at them

how long has the car been tinted for? is it totally dry yet?

the one pictured above seems to have alot of air/water along side heater lines, is it still wet? mine doesnt look like that when dry, I tint more bmws than anything else put together

my 5 series is done in johnson greystone which is one of the thickest films on the market and its hardly noticeable on that, even at night with headlights behind you which is usually when it is most prominent, you have to remember you look thru windows not at them

how long has the car been tinted for? is it totally dry yet?

the one pictured above seems to have alot of air/water along side heater lines, is it still wet? mine doesnt look like that when dry, I tint more bmws than anything else put together

If you are talking about the close up picture, that is a Lexus or toyota I pulled from the internet. It was to show the difference between thick defroster lines and BMW ones which are bu no means thick. The picture of the back glass is my car done in a pretty thick metalized film.

Guest tint325i

yeh lexus is another one with thick lines, I didnt think the close up looked like a bmw screen! tried to take a close up of mine but my camera obviously isnt good enough

Guest Diamond Tints

OMG, you are going to get the tint stipped off, wire wooled and retinted to see if it helps!!!, As I say to EVERY customer if you are looking for fault and trying to find something wrong then you will, Glad its not me facing you :lol:lol

Archived