Va. House OKs bill to allow darker window tint

tintslut

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Drivers could have darker tint on vehicle windows if a bill that passed the House of Delegates Tuesday becomes law.

Virginia currently requires at least 50 percent visibility on the front side windows, although back windows can be darker. Del. Charles Carrico's bill, which passed on a 67-30 vote, would lower that to 35 percent visibility.

Full Story Here: http://wtop.com/?nid=600&sid=2255815

Fellow Virginians, we need to let our senators know how we feel about this bill! I believe the new law, with the implementation of tint metering as part of the annual vehicle inspection, will lead to less illegal film. I think that 35% is a safe and reasonable darkness for front door windows. I think that the local window film industry will benefit from the thousands of windows that are likely to change from their existing 50% to 35%. Changing the law will also allow us to use more energy efficient window films, for example: Huper Optik Drei - 70% solar energy rejection. This is a great opportunity for Virginia's tinters to establish a dialogue with our local government! Please let me know your viewpoints and speak to your senator!

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Drivers could have darker tint on vehicle windows if a bill that passed the House of Delegates Tuesday becomes law.

Virginia currently requires at least 50 percent visibility on the front side windows, although back windows can be darker. Del. Charles Carrico's bill, which passed on a 67-30 vote, would lower that to 35 percent visibility.

Full Story Here: http://wtop.com/?nid=600&sid=2255815

Great news, like the last change in '93 from 70 -50%. Remember? Hit the senators up!

Fellow Virginians, we need to let our senators know how we feel about this bill! I believe the new law, with the implementation of tint metering as part of the annual vehicle inspection, will lead to less illegal film. I think that 35% is a safe and reasonable darkness for front door windows. I think that the local window film industry will benefit from the thousands of windows that are likely to change from their existing 50% to 35%. Changing the law will also allow us to use more energy efficient window films, for example: Huper Optik Drei - 70% solar energy rejection. This is a great opportunity for Virginia's tinters to establish a dialogue with our local government! Please let me know your viewpoints and speak to your senator!

You don't want the inspectors checking yearly. Leave it up to law enforcement for jurisdiction. Too many differing meter readings, once denied your in the system negatively whether accurate or not - just ask the NC guys!

You don't want the inspectors checking yearly. Leave it up to law enforcement for jurisdiction. Too many differing meter readings, once denied your in the system negatively whether accurate or not - just ask the NC guys!

I agree, however, I would rather have inspection hassles then 50%. I do think less people would use 20% if they knew it wouldn't last past inspection.

I agree, however, I would rather have inspection hassles then 50%. I do think less people would use 20% if they knew it wouldn't last past inspection.

the guys that want the match don't go away cause of the inspection. Again, ask the NC guys.

I agree. My sister had trouble with her inspection in NC. Nobody in NC wants a 50% law either. The 50% law is strongly enforced in my local. I have had 11 people get tickets for being 1% too dark when we were using a certain brand.

Guest coredneck

One thing, Virginia should put an out of state exemption into the law. Technically, right now, anyone from the neighboring states that drive in VA and the windows are darker that what is permitted by VA law are subject to getting stopped and ticketed. In fact, according to VA law, the 2nd window tint ticket, the court can order you to remove the tint.

One of the neighbors of VA is KY and they allow for 35% on the front doors and 20% behind. Even though the car is legal in KY, the moment it goes into VA, the driver can get stopped for the tinting. Even better, New Mexico has the most generous tint law where you can even have 20% on the front doors. Need it for the intense sunlight but if that person from NM decides to take vacation towards Maine, there are various states he can get stopped and ticketed in besides Virginia. There is TN which allows 35% as the darkest on the front doors in regards to non-residents. There is PA and NY which is 70% (basically no tint) on the front doors and PA is even stricter on tint on the back and backside windows. Don't forget Georgia either since they changed their law to include out of state motorists. If the NM resident of instead of taking the Southern route decides to go more Northern route, there is IA, MO, IN to contend with since they have no non-resident exemption.

Archived