Chevy Truck Rollup Question

finishlineautosports

I know there are several chevy trucks and SUVs that are like this but just curious as to how others cut them. For some reason, I am never happy with the back edge where it rounds off and then goes at an angle to the back edge.

Here is my process so correct me if I am wrong.

1) With window up all the way, cut back edge from top to bottom starting just below the curved corner.

2) Pull tint slightly across horizontal plane, cut front edge.

3) Roll window down, cut top edge. But when I get to the back edge curve, there is a large gap at the bacl edge due to the way I am cutting this pattern and the way the window moves

I know there must be a better way and I don't see a post in regards to it.

Thanks!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lay film on glass, use a film marker and mark both sides. Roll down window about 3.5 inches, cut top edge and cut around the curve and down as far as your knife will go, finish marking front side. Put film on your peel board and trim a slight hairline off the side where it curves around and run your cut pretty tight to your marked line when you get close to the bottom as there's not much excess glass on that one side :thumb

Lay film on glass, use a film marker and mark both sides. Roll down window about 3.5 inches, cut top edge and cut around the curve and down as far as your knife will go, finish marking front side. Put film on your peel board and trim a slight hairline off the side where it curves around and run your cut pretty tight to your marked line when you get close to the bottom as there's not much excess glass on that one side :pooping

you all must be talking about the old school chevy truck door glass. I think it is one of the only glasses i cut starting at the top with the window rolled down slightly. other wise you endup with the back edge of the window with a huge gap with no film on it. You may not see it with it rolled up but when you roll that window down dezam.

I do basiclly like what micro edge is saying on a piece or 2 until you get a piece cut that you like. Here's alittle secret so don't go telling everybody ok. After you get the film cut the way you want it, save the liner off the piece of film and mark it chevy truck door glass. Now you have a pattern for these windows that you can use on the next window you have to do like this. What i do is double cut these doors leaving an extra half inch across the top when i cut them out and trim the top edge after i hang the film on the window. bump it down my usual 1/16th of an inch hand squeegee it out.

The first time you make your pattern may take you just a bit, but if you have a peel board. The next one you have to do, you will be able to cut both doors in less then 5 mins i promise. :lol

I had the same experience like a lot of people probably had with the huge rear gap. If I get a vehicle like that, I always cut the top edge first. I have cut enough to know how far back to cut my long side of the film to have a pretty nice gap when the window is down. When I cut the tops of those types of windows, what has helped me is roll the window down low enough to the corner of the glass straightens out. Hope that helps out someone.

take the window out.cut window..install tint...no gap...problem solved..

the amount of time you would spend removing and reinstalling the window. You could make 5 or 6 pattern's for that window. Not to mention it's a PITA to put those back in without scratching the film. You probably don't want to try removing one of these windows unless you are a very experienced glass man. which I happen to be, and I can tell you right now there are not to many windows I would pull out to tint.

Trust me on this I live in chevy truck country, and have probably more then 1000 of these door glasses under my belt. Make a good pattern for this window and you will always be able to tint these doors quick and easy. :bingo

Cut the bottom.

Cut the front, move forward slightly.

Cut about 1-2" at the bottom of the back.

Roll window down a few inches to where the back edge of the glass is now visible at the top.

Cut the back edge down to the bottom.

Take it off the glass and cut the inch or so between your back edge cuts.

This should put you very near the back edge of the glass so that you don't have the gap when the window is part way down.

i understand what you are saying TG. But what you did not consider was the fact that the person you gave this advice to has less then a year's experience tinting windows, and who knows if they have ever removed a piece of glass from a car before.

I'm not trying to say my way is better just different. And probably safer for a novice. Not to mention while you are busting your ass to pull a door panel remove a glass tint it reinstall it then reinstall the door panel in 15 mins. Give me a break dude not saying you are full of chit. I'm sure it could be done, just might not be the best advice for someone with little experience. :bingo

Archived